Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Ducati 848 2008
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought used 848 and after 300km it stopped charging. When I removed the fairings to see whats wrong I noticed that the wires from the alternator to voltage regulator were burned in two (Literally connector was charred and wires were melted off, maybe the wires were too close to the hot engine?). Anyway there were 3 plain yellow wires comming from the alternator and 3 plain yellow wires going to the voltage regulator. Is there specific order in these wires or can they be swapped around since I don't know which one was where?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Common issue. Order of the yellow wires do not matter. You may want to take this opportunity to either get a sealed connector or wrap an unsealed connector with silicone tape. Dirt and oil get into the connector causing the issue you experienced. Some folks also upgrade the regulator to a mosfet one and relocate to the right side of the bike for better cooling.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The best solution is to eliminate the connector entirely by soldering the wires together.

The in-line electrical connector between the stator wires and the regulator lead wires develop a small resistance caused by corrosion/oxidation. The wires need to pass in excess of 40 amps continuously so even this small resistance translates to a lot of heat being developed at the connector.

A connector with just a small 1/2 ohm resistance results in generating over 900 watts of heat that will destroy the plastic connector and adjacent insulation on the wires. (That's more heat than a toaster.)

So, all owners should take preventative action and eliminate (or at least clean and inspect) this in-line connector.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Agree with the responses here. Order/matching is irrelevant, and recommendation (if you can) is to solder/heat shrink/insulate them directly together if you can, to remove the resistance in any connector you put in place.
Done this a number of times on my 848.

·
Registered
Ducati 848 2008
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just soldered the wires together and everything works. I think I'll stick to the OEM voltage regulator since it works and upgrade to mosfet one only when it breaks.
Thank you guys for help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts