Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the throttle position sensor(TPS) might be a culprit in the previously mentioned ride ability issues on my ST3? Has anyone experienced similar symptoms with their ST3?.Thanks in advance. Howard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
my ST3 does not like any throttle under 2000rpm and really needs over 3000 to run clean,just seems the timing and/or mixture is wrong but I am told a lot of Dukes do not like slow engine speeds,can make riding tight windy roads a pain having to use the gearbox like a two stroke when you should have 2 large pistons and a big crank to grunt out of corners

I put a Booster Plug unit on that fools the air temp unit and it improved things down to 2000 as it was almost unridable before,it seems a little better with the loud pipes on it but they are a bit anti-neighbourly so I do not use them often,great in valleys though
I would sure be interested if there is anything that can make the slow speed running better

·
Registered
3 Posts
my ST3 does not like any throttle under 2000rpm and really needs over 3000 to run clean,just seems the timing and/or mixture is wrong but I am told a lot of Dukes do not like slow engine speeds,can make riding tight windy roads a pain having to use the gearbox like a two stroke when you should have 2 large pistons and a big crank to grunt out of corners

I put a Booster Plug unit on that fools the air temp unit and it improved things down to 2000 as it was almost unridable before,it seems a little better with the loud pipes on it but they are a bit anti-neighbourly so I do not use them often,great in valleys though
I would sure be interested if there is anything that can make the slow speed running better
What year ST3 do you have? The 2005 and later years are different in that they had to conform to Euro emission standards and have different performance characteristics. I have an early 2004 and since I bought in November of last year it has run poorly under 3000rpm, even at idle during de-acceleration. I have tried just about everything. I have had the valve clearances checked, TPS checked, throttle bodies synced, ignition coils/wired checked, fuel injectors cleaned/flow tested, compression checked, leak down test and fuel filter changed. None of this solved the problem. Once the economy gets going again (soon, hopefully) I will take it to a dealer and have it analyzed using the Mathesis system.

What is the "Booster Plug" that you have used? to help with what you have employed for some relief between 2000 to 3000rpm? I'd like to try one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi giallo999,mine is a 2005 model,and yes it is probably Euro,but I think NZ models are the same as Australian as we are such a small market,I have been told to get it dyno checked and will when
I can find the right people not too many good ones over here.

The booster plug can be found by using Google easy enough,mine came from the US in about a week and just plugged into the wiring next to the original air temp sensor on the lhs of the frame, best to remove the top fairing but easy to fit and in my case helped straight away.

Does anyone know what the idle speed should be? I cannot find it in the owners or workshop manual,mine seems a little on the low side,and the bike pull better out of slow speed corners when cold and the choke is on a bit,maybe my engine just needs a slightly higher idle setting

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just wondering if the throttle position sensor(TPS) might be a culprit in the previously mentioned ride ability issues on my ST3? Has anyone experienced similar symptoms with their ST3?.Thanks in advance. Howard.
Nope..Mine idle's slightly over 1200rpm..I have the best Tech that keeps her running great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts