Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an idea for the sink / flame areas that might make everyone happy.

Our goal is to keep this place friendly for all members -- those who don't want to participate in the sink and those that do. The off-topic banter, etc.

Unfortunately the way the software is set up, everything gets mixed in together... someone searching for new posts will see all the topics, threads, etc. that are full of junk. Even if they don't want too.

If we created a couple of areas that someone had to 'join' specifically to see that content -- then they would only be seeing it if they wanted to.

That way, people can enjoy it... and people that don't want to see it don't have to see it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
i feel like this is a trick question...last time you asked for members' opinion/vote, you did exactly the opposite so I'm not sure yet how to answer this one :rolleyes:

·
Registered
651 Posts
It is clear that the site is going to change. What you're proposing is a compromise that shows a willingness on the part of your team to allow a corner of the community that caters to those that have seen this as more than just another bike board. My opinion - if you take out all of the banter and coarse interaction of the past couple of days and everyone can let bygones be bygones it's the most workable solution possible to both (1) have a community at large that is focused on the core message of the board and (2) allow the "fringe community" to continue to enjoy the other aspects of the board and interactions.

I'd be in favor of it and, although I know there are those that might already be in a pretty pissed/frustrated state of mind, say it's a fair offer that didn't need to be made.

One additional request: Can we have an area within the optional area that is once again optional that only PA can post in? :)

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i feel like this is a trick question...last time you asked for members' opinion/vote, you did exactly the opposite so I'm not sure yet how to answer this one :rolleyes:
My asking for opinions does not obligate me to follow them. Also, as I'm sure you are aware -- I had feedback from MANY people that said they were afraid to participate in the poll or give their opinion for fear of being flamed constantly.

So, take the poll results with a big grain of salt.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
My asking for opinions does not obligate me to follow them. Also, as I'm sure you are aware -- I had feedback from MANY people that said they were afraid to participate in the poll or give their opinion for fear of being flamed constantly.

So tell us then, what was your intention then in posting this big facade of a fiasco and letting us believe in your own words that "the majority vote would rule" ? We can only assume you didn't get the results you expected and now must "back pedal" on your word...

Please clarify.. .

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have an idea for the sink / flame areas that might make everyone happy.

Our goal is to keep this place friendly for all members -- those who don't want to participate in the sink and those that do. The off-topic banter, etc.

Unfortunately the way the software is set up, everything gets mixed in together... someone searching for new posts will see all the topics, threads, etc. that are full of junk. Even if they don't want too.

If we created a couple of areas that someone had to 'join' specifically to see that content -- then they would only be seeing it if they wanted to.

That way, people can enjoy it... and people that don't want to see it don't have to see it.

Thoughts?
I like this idea actually. How would the login work? Would it be an option (checkbox) in my profile that triggered a flag or would I have to log in twice. I am eagerly awaiting your answer.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So tell us then, what was your intention then in posting this big facade of a fiasco and letting us believe in your own words that "the majority vote would rule" ? We can only assume you didn't get the results you expected and now must "back pedal" on your word...

Please clarify.. .
You are absolutely correct. I had full intentions of going with the majority. I had hoped that my post letting people know that we were considering going the route of moderation would cause people to self moderate and maybe take a step back and look at the way they were behaving and see if they were part of the problem.

I vastly over-estimated the level of common courtesy I thought would be present with some forum members. My mistake.

After that post, things seemed to get worse.

In addition, the number of emails and private messages I received from long standing members who felt the same way I did but were afraid to voice their opinion and participate anymore made me rethink my decision to go with the majority.

Sometimes the VOCAL majority (which is, substantially different then the true majority) can be wrong.

So you are correct and I have no problem admitting that I made a mistake and mis-estimated. I had hoped self moderation would be the key but I now fully believe that is impossible, despite what some members may say.

As far as the joinable area -- it would simply be a group or section you would have to specifically join to have access to the area. I don't have more details I'm still trying to work out what the software can do, but it would be pretty simple.

We would ask everyone to keep any rude discussions and NSFW stuff to that area, and that area ONLY.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm down...how fast can you do this. No turkey until it is complete.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
You are absolutely correct. I had full intentions of going with the majority. I had hoped that my post letting people know that we were considering going the route of moderation would cause people to self moderate and maybe take a step back and look at the way they were behaving and see if they were part of the problem.

I vastly over-estimated the level of common courtesy I thought would be present with some forum members. My mistake.

So you are correct and I have no problem admitting that I made a mistake and mis-estimated. I had hoped self moderation would be the key but I now fully believe that is impossible, despite what some members may say.

As far as the joinable area -- it would simply be a group or section you would have to specifically join to have access to the area. I don't have more details I'm still trying to work out what the software can do, but it would be pretty simple.

We would ask everyone to keep any rude discussions and NSFW stuff to that area, and that area ONLY.
A step in the right direction..

·
Registered
581 Posts
Those kneepads must be wearing out by now....

·
Registered
581 Posts
I wouldn't know you're the only one here that seems to be blindly sucking the new admin teams collective ****.

Also you illiterate **** there was no advice there...merely a statement.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The great thing about the rights you and I have fought for is that I don't need permission to exercise them. Especially to a has been.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts

I doubt this as you can vote and no one knows which way you voted, so who would be afraid

1 - 20 of 48 Posts