Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My 848 has decided to die on me and I have no idea what the issues is.

As background, the bike has not been ridden in nearly 3 weeks but before taking it out, I made sure I charged the battery up too full (2 days on charge).

I took it out yesterday and it took a few turns to get it to start but once I had it going, it seems to be have no problems.

I then stopped at a coffee shop around 5-10 minutes later and when I tried to start her up after another 10 or so minutes, the screen flashed up and then went dead.

I tried to hill start it a couple of times but it would start to turn over and then die out. Now it's been on charge overnight but not even the screen starts up, it just seems to flash briefly with the back light and it also has a clicking sound, both of which just continue to happen while the ignition is on, sort of like static electricity.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Once you swap the battery out, you need to check the voltage with a multimeter with the bike running to insure your charging circuit it working. Unfortunately it maybe a compound issue, voltage regulator failing causing the battery to be very weak. Make sure it's putting out 14v when the bike is idling at the battery terminals.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woohoo - thanks guys, I finally got around to installing the new battery and I can report I had a successful outing yesterday riding with my brother in law down to Wiseman's ferry.

First ever 'maintenance' work done by myself (excluding chain lube, tire pressure).

Thanks again for your input

·
Administrator
2,963 Posts
Good news! Batteries can form sulfation over time...essentially in internal short in the battery. They'll have the proper voltage, but can't generate the amperage needed to start the bike. A voltage check won't tell the whole story...you need to load test the battery. Chances are it fell off about as fast as it did in your bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.