Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to go ahead and join --- looks like there's too much good information here to miss out on.

Picked up my 1098S two weeks ago. My first Ducati in 37 years of owning motorcycles (yeah, I'm kinda old --- a 1956 model). I've already paid for the full Termi system, but it's not in yet. Probably about another month. Oh well. it's kinda nice to have something to look forward to.

I've put about 200 miles on it, and it's stalled on me about 3 times, by the way. This is with the stock exhaust. Just push the button, I guess, and don't worry about it.

I'm looking for a good way to protect the back of the tank, without having to apply one of those adhesive things to it --- never had much luck with 'em. Anybody ever tried the Tankslapper film, or know where to get a cover (bra) for the rear of the tank, like a Lockhart Phillips? I haven't seen one yet, but've always used 'em on my Japanese bikes.

I'd also like to reiterate a question already asked by another member, directed to the full Termi owners --- has anyone noticed any hot spots on the fairing, where it looks like it might want to melt? I don't want to coat or wrap anything, but I surely don't want a melted fairing. Does the Termi actually come significantly closer to the fairing than the stocker? I would assume it does, looking at the diameter of the pipes.

Thanks for any and all information.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had bad experiences with a tank bra, make sure you don't have any dirt or sand grain like i had from riding at Daytona Beach....with a other bike !

·
Registered
122 Posts
Congrats on the 1098s. I too am waiting for the full system. A guy here locally has the full 70mm system and has had no problems with heat.

Enjoy the ride

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Congrats you old fart!
I'm 40 and this is going to be my first Duc too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! I have the tankslapper. Just follow the instructions on line. I would add one line. Make sure you REALLY stretch the material. Just trying to smooth it over the compound curves of the tank doesn't work well.

CAG

·
Registered
257 Posts
I wouldn't use the tank bra. I use the 3M material that you can buy from the people that make the tankslapper. It is more difficult to install and if you ever remove it, you have to throw it away (the tankslapper is reusable). But it is much more invisible. I have it on my 916 tank and most people can't tell. I actually plan on getting the full bike kit (protects front of bike, chin fairing, edges and bottom of side fairings, parts of fender, tank, etc) for my 1098S.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Ive had the full system fitted and have had no problems. But what a difference it makes. Had the full systrem polished as well. Looks awesome would suggest it to all. Will be put on the dyno in a couple of days to see the difference in power and torque. Did a base run before exhaust fitted. should be interesting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nice to see somebody in the same age bracket as I am(1956 model). One of my concerns about the 1098 before putting a deposit in one is the riding posture. I currently ride a 2007 BMW R1200S. How much sportier is the riding position between these 2 bikes? I could not find a dealer in my area where they would let me sit on a sold bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jun:

I gotta tell you --- the riding position is definitely way far to the sporty side of things. I own several other bikes, one of them being an '04 Kawasaki ZX-10, and I find it more comfortable than the Ducati. If I'm thinking of the right BMW, your bike's ergos are gonna be more like my ZX-14's. And there is a big difference between the 14 and the Duc, most noticeably due to the difference in handlebar height. Yeah, I know the 14 and the Duc are two way different bikes, but the riding position on the 14 is surprisingly compact for a big sportbike.

I'm pretty tall, not too heavy (6'4", 177 pounds), but I can still fold myself up pretty good. I don't have a problem at all with the seat-to-footpeg ergonomics --- my legs and hips aren't the least bit uncomfortable. But the clip-ons are really low, and you wind up carrying a lot of weight on your arms, up into your shoulders. The seat is fine as far as shape and foam density, but it feels like it kinda runs downhill, towards the front of the bike, so I wind up frequently wanting to push myself back a little bit.

None of it's really unbearable --- it's not like I'm in agony when I get off after a ride, or anything. Surely don't regret getting the bike. And, I know my height makes a difference. But, she ain't built for comfort, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I like how it's lurking in the shadows. =]

Nice!

Jason

·
Registered
215 Posts
I highly recommend thetankslapper kit. I've had it on all my bikes and when it came time to sell them they looked brandnew.

Essentially its a complete clear bra system for your bike. You can opt to just get the tank section which is normally all I get. However this time around I got the complete kit which comes with material for the entire bike, nose to tail.

The installation is pretty easy, you spray water on your tank, then on the film then position it and use a squeezie to remove the water. What happens is it creates a vaccum holding the film on yet it can be removed easily. As time goes by the film will get scuffed up just like your tank would be, especially around the crotch section after a track day. You can replace it with another and it wont hurt the paint, its just water.

·
Registered
370 Posts
cronn said:
I highly recommend thetankslapper kit. I've had it on all my bikes and when it came time to sell them they looked brandnew.

Essentially its a complete clear bra system for your bike. You can opt to just get the tank section which is normally all I get. However this time around I got the complete kit which comes with material for the entire bike, nose to tail.

The installation is pretty easy, you spray water on your tank, then on the film then position it and use a squeezie to remove the water. What happens is it creates a vaccum holding the film on yet it can be removed easily. As time goes by the film will get scuffed up just like your tank would be, especially around the crotch section after a track day. You can replace it with another and it wont hurt the paint, its just water.

Will the scratch ever go through the film?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like eveybody's got good things to say about the Tankslapper products. I guess I'll either go with the Tankslapper, or the 3M adhesive film they also sell. So, thanks for all replies received thus far.

And, Jason, thanks for the compliment on the photo. Kinda liked it myself.

·
Registered
215 Posts
ansman said:
Will the scratch ever go through the film?
I've never had it go through the film. I'd had to replace the film because it was so scratched, (spiderweb) keep in mind these would normally be on the tank paint. So I was happy to replace it. But that was after a year of having it on.

The complete kit which I got now for the 1098 has headlight covers and the entire front section to keep those knicks off my paint :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
How about it when you clean the bike with soap/water? Do you need to wash it differently to keep holding the film?

·
Registered
215 Posts
B1098S said:
How about it when you clean the bike with soap/water? Do you need to wash it differently to keep holding the film?
Nope, I just wash over them although you could take them off to wash underneath. Although I rarely use soap and water but when I do I just wash over it unless I am waxing it. Its totally transparent and I've yet to have someone notice it on the bike. I usually have to point it out to them, then they saw WOW, you cant even see if if you dont point it out.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Interesting reading about this tank slapper stuff, I've never heard or seen it. I've seen the 3M stickers, but I'm a little reluctant because I have some small pieces on my car and because my car is white, the plastic tarnishes to a faint yellow over time. Can you provide some links to some sites that offer it? I'd like to take a peek.

And thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Hey Gixxerboy,

Nice pic's! Your polished pipes look unbelievably sick! They look like they were done better than the one I saw in person! Congrats man.

·
Registered
215 Posts
smeelge said:
Interesting reading about this tank slapper stuff, I've never heard or seen it. I've seen the 3M stickers, but I'm a little reluctant because I have some small pieces on my car and because my car is white, the plastic tarnishes to a faint yellow over time. Can you provide some links to some sites that offer it? I'd like to take a peek.

And thanks in advance!
Thats the advantage of using the water suction. It wont turn yellowish unless you have your bike outside in the sun all the time but if it does just buy a new one they are cheap

www.thetankslapper.com

disclaimer: I in no way am affiliated with this place Mr. Admin, just trying to share knowledge of what works for me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Load of questions: Do you take it off to wax or just wax over it? Does it look/feel different? Any discolorations from the areas that weren't covered vs covered? So are you not supposed to use soap/water to wash the bike later?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts