Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Bought a 2010 1198s Corse SE at an insurance auction just before xmas.
For the most part the damage looks cosmetic. Clip on, rearset tab, rearset, rashed clutch pressure plate, and most of the body.
I've been hunting down most of the parts (thanks Rubbish).
I even lucked out. There was a dealer name on the key ring. Called them up and they remembered the bike and owner. Sent him my info and he got back to me. Just bought a gps and gear indicator from him and got the security card and spare key. Plus picking his brain for what all was done to the bike.
I do have a quick question, hope its not a dumb one.
Clutch covers? I see a lot of open covers...is there a benefit over closed? This bike will only be used for racing and the odd track day so logic is telling me to get a closed cover to prevent crap from getting in. Does the open have any function other than pretty and more noise?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Congrats man!! Good luck on the hunt and rubb is good for parts as I have realized so far myself lol.

Just bought a gps and gear indicator from him and got the security card and spare key.
This right here is awesome that you were able to get the code card and spare key!!!

As for the open clutch cover don't quote me as someone else can chime in as well but I think it helps to dissipate the heat of the clutch alittle. But I think mainly it's for looks.

Post some pictures of this thing!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here's both sides
I've got a full set of track body work to put on. Black and white so I might be painting it.
The dealer I spoke with told me he was the one that did the insurance quote. $32000 in damages. He laughed and said it was almost all cosmetic. He told me they charge $4000 for a new tank! (keep in mind, thats cdn so its only about 40 buck usd).
Found out from the previous owner he had a dp slipper clutch installed last year as well. SWEET.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
No huge advantage to having an open clutch cover performance-wise. But I wouldn't worry about getting stuff in there either, the pressure plate is really the only exposed part. You'll notice WSB and MotoGP riders of different makes with open clutch covers. Dissipating heat? Yeah it probably helps with an open cover but I haven't heard of people frying their clutches in a race either...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking more about the lowside into the grass and gravel. I would want a closed for that but if there is a performance issue then I'd get open.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I wouldn't worry about stuff getting in there. If anything, there is a lot less stuff that can get in there from a track than riding on the street. The main reason for open clutch covers is aesthetics. The second reason is cooling and the debris (clutch dust) falls out rather than collect inside. Mine did save my ass once because one of the bolts from the pressure plate came out and another one was a bit loose when I was at the track. Had I not had the open cover I would've never noticed until it would've snapped off at high speed and much worse things would've happened.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats on the bike, did you pick that off a guy that has 2 GTR's aswell somewhere around Uxbridge ON?

I am from Toronto myself maybe I might see you out on the road once you get it fixed!

Cheers...
Hey Sinister
She won't be on the road. Track only bike from here on out.
Not sure about who's selling GTR's. I know Ben Gartner is selling a duc. He's got some nice stuff. Builds for national riders.

Reactions: Sinister

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't worry about stuff getting in there. If anything, there is a lot less stuff that can get in there from a track than riding on the street. The main reason for open clutch covers is aesthetics. The second reason is cooling and the debris (clutch dust) falls out rather than collect inside. Mine did save my ass once because one of the bolts from the pressure plate came out and another one was a bit loose when I was at the track. Had I not had the open cover I would've never noticed until it would've snapped off at high speed and much worse things would've happened.
Thanks Rubbish. Exactly what I wanted to know.
I wish it would get warm here so I could get that clipon and master installed!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great buy, mind me asking how much they were charging for a totaled bike? Assumed you have a salvage title now? Plans on getting the title restored?
Hey Dmitriy
My bid was 4000. I had to pay broker fees and taxes. I don't plan on putting it on the road so salvage title was a bonus.
Its a corse se edition so it has some more goodies and bonus to see it has a slipper. It was a risky purchase. It was done from pictures basically as the bike was in Montreal and I'm in toronto.

Reactions: Dmitriy5099

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Thanks Rubbish. Exactly what I wanted to know.
I wish it would get warm here so I could get that clipon and master installed!
Portable propane heater! They're awesome for garages :D

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Hey Dmitriy

My bid was 4000. I had to pay broker fees and taxes. I don't plan on putting it on the road so salvage title was a bonus.

Its a corse se edition so it has some more goodies and bonus to see it has a slipper. It was a risky purchase. It was done from pictures basically as the bike was in Montreal and I'm in toronto.

That's a steal if you ask me. Reason I asked is I wouldn't mind owning a 2nd 848 for track duties. If it's for a track may as well buy a wrecked one and repair it.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
That's a steal if you ask me. Reason I asked is I wouldn't mind owning a 2nd 848 for track duties. If it's for a track may as well buy a wrecked one and repair it.
That's my plan too. The little CBR500 I'm getting next week has a salvage title and is already race-ready, and it was pretty damn cheap. If I can't find a decent 600 for around $4k, I will be looking at getting a 2nd bike from a salvage auction, and slowly work towards turning it into a 2nd race bike. Gotta have a little bike and a big bike! :)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
That's my plan too. The little CBR500 I'm getting next week has a salvage title and is already race-ready, and it was pretty damn cheap. If I can't find a decent 600 for around $4k, I will be looking at getting a 2nd bike from a salvage auction, and slowly work towards turning it into a 2nd race bike. Gotta have a little bike and a big bike! :)

We need to find you a Ducati, want to buy mine?

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
We need to find you a Ducati, want to buy mine?
No, but why would yours be for sale?? You were just saying how you want to buy another one for the track :confused:

The only Ducati I would want to have at the moment would be a 1299 or 1199R, but I'm nowhere near being able to afford either of those.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.