Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
5,501 Posts
I've been reading on this forum about gear binding causing the issues due to the idle wheel pin location. It seems to be the most accurate thing in relationship to the facts. I'm always interested in learning more about these issues as well, so I can fix 'em when I see 'em. So far, I haven't yet run into anyone with this problem in person.

· Banned
5,501 Posts
What is gear binding? What idle wheel pin?
The idler gear which goes between the starter AND the sprague, rests on a pin. I gather that pin bends due to the stresses of turning over that big bore twin.

Thats pretty much all I know and honestly, its all hearsay as the information came from the forums. I have never first-hand seen the issue to diagnose it.

· Banned
5,501 Posts
The images lead me to believe you don't have enough lubrication on the sprague gear. Thats physical wear from the sprague and it shouldn't be like that.

Yes, I was referring to pin #8, they did make changes over the years. However, there are people here with the same problem after updating everything.

· Banned
5,501 Posts
Hmm… very interesting.

I'm really interested in this issue honestly, it appears to be happening more and more. Not just isolated to 1098/1198's either, we're seeing it on 848's as well here on the forums. My guess is, the stator sprague simply can't handle the torque necessary to turn over the motor. Once it slips a few times due to the force, it simply flattens the sprague bearings. Once that happens, they stop working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.