Ducati.org forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
After talking to Ducati Italy I was just served with a generic email response from Ducati North America:

"Thank you for contacting Ducati.

We are sorry to learn of the concern you’ve experienced with your 1198 SP. The Ducati Limited Warranty is valid for two years from the date of original retail purchase, which will protect you from defects in workmanship and materials during that period. Ducati must adhere to its warranty policies in a uniform and consistent manner that is fair to all customers; therefore, compensation for repairs outside the terms and conditions of the factory warranty cannot be granted. While we sympathize with your situation, we are unable to accommodate your request.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us or an Authorized Ducati Dealership. To find an Authorized Ducati Dealership, please visit Ducati North America - Bikes, Equipment, Accessories, Racing, Company, Dealer - Official Site Ducati and click on "DEALERS" or utilize our dealer locator by phoning 1-800-231-6696."

They clearly didn't even bother reading my entire claim.

I will fix my bike with new parts out of my pocket and sell it. If anyone is looking for red 2011 1198 SP in excellent condition with around 4.5k miles let me know. Title in hand, located in FL.

This will be my last Ducati. I'll also file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for good measure.

Good luck guys.

· Registered
2 Posts
Most disheartening! I have been researching my next bike for three years, but when I read threads like this it frankly scares me. I realize that by the nature of the forum, the majority of the posts are owners that are having problems, and you’re not going to see the “Help! My bike is perfect” post, but the thought of forking out a major cash, only to have something like this happens is concerning. So, after three years of study my first choice is Ducati, followed by, do I dare say the “A” word? Dang! Confused???????
Curt

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Most disheartening! I have been researching my next bike for three years, but when I read threads like this it frankly scares me. I realize that by the nature of the forum, the majority of the posts are owners that are having problems, and you’re not going to see the “Help! My bike is perfect” post, but the thought of forking out a major cash, only to have something like this happens is concerning. So, after three years of study my first choice is Ducati, followed by, do I dare say the “A” word? Dang! Confused???????
Curt
If you have plenty of cash and time for repairs or ride the Ducati rarely a couple times a month; it's a piece of art and ok. If it's your only bike, you want to ride 10k+ miles a year without hickups.. forget it.

they (1x98) also ride like a bitch. It's different and 'interesting' at times.. but on the track.. they are a bitch. I'm so much faster on my GSXR 1000.

· Registered
34 Posts
I have a GSXR 1000 K6, with nearly 120,00 klm on it. I've done all the maintenance since warranty, and it's only needed 2 fuel pumps, and 2 rectifiers. I bought an 09 1198 with 22,500 klm on it, about a year ago. I did the belts and valves, and replaced the deafening basket and plates. The hard hot starting issue was a pain. Did my own wiring upgrade, and replaced the sprag gear. I should have replaced the gear, the flange, and the driven gear. So my replacement oem sprag gear didn't last long.
I bought and fitted one of those ebay gear/flanges, along with an oem driven gear. I intend pulling it out and having a look during my Christmas holidays. Hopefully it's not junk.
I think Ducati is taking the piss out of their customers. Google 1198 hard starting for example. I believe the starter gears were updated one or twice since the model was released? Ok, but make those updated parts available for less than the nonsense $500+. The original design was lacking.
I love riding the bike, I will keep it, and I don't mind learning and having my time spent working on the bike, but it's not for the faint hearted!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.