Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first time desmo owner just need some advice on the bike what to look out for and up keep and so on anything helps

·
Registered
81 Posts
Let it warm up every time you start it, otherwise you'll carbon up the plugs, which i'm told is a big job to swop them out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Better get a 17" rear wheel on order if you plan to ride it much as the Bridgestone rear tire does not look to be available any longer.

Keep a close eye on the oil level until you get some time on her so you know what to expect for oil consumption.

With only 400 miles on the clock, perhaps a little break-in time might be prudent.

Did original D16RR buyers follow the manual on break in process or just let her rip from day one? I'm sure there are lots of opinion on engine break in.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Did original D16RR buyers follow the manual on break in process or just let her rip from day one? I'm sure there are lots of opinion on engine break in.
My bike had <60 miles when I bought it. Ducati specified the break-in procedure for a reason and so I followed it to a T. There are canyons where I live, which made shifting up and down through the gears and varying the revs a piece of cake. Having bounced off the rev limiter a few times since then, those break-in redline limits feel like hardly more than fast idle now. :lol3

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi,

Plenty of threads on this however, would follow as follows if you've not bought already..

1. Get as high a production number as possible.
2. Confirm details (engine/chassis numbers) with Ducati. They'll do it happily
3. Obtain confirmation from your local Ducati dealer on completed or outstanding warranty/recall items (there are quite a few over the years)
4. Relocate voltage rectifier. Please threads on how/where to.
5. If due a service, get some proper oil (motul 300V 15w50) and quality coolant (they run hot hot hot) in the thing.
6. Wheels, invest in an 17" rear. PVM, OZ, BST, Marchesini all do them. Bridgestone no longer make the 16" rear....
7. Get fairings, either Fibre Glass or Carbon. Take old ones off, wrap them up and stick em in the loft. Plenty companies make fairings.
8. Get suspension set up for you. They are like bricks to ride
9. Don't crash it,
10. DONT CRASH IT..... ;-)

Always let them warm up, minimum 50C before riding and 75C before giving it some beans. Lots of different theories as others have said about running in, I only followed the running guides until 400kms on mine, mainly as same oil had been in there since it was delivered. been told by many people the Motul 300V is the best for the bike and just to ride it sensibly up to about 500kms, then increase to 75% to 1000kms...

Caveat Emptor with regards to that...

Best of luck, they are stunning machines...

·
Registered
258 Posts
On long rides I carry an 11 mm open end wrench to bleed the clutch. My street bike alway forms an air/gas bubble because the slave cylinder gets very hot. Some bikes have this issue- others do not.

My track bike never needs bleeding-ever. I changed to an STM slipper before it ever had any miles on it- but I doubt if that is the reason it never requires bleeding.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks every buddy and yah 343 has been bought that highest number i found been looking for a while

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys

·
Registered
480 Posts
Everything Bullitt says is golden. Particularly relocating the regulator, fitting after-market bodywork for the street, slightly softer suspension, 17'' rims, after-market slipper clutch. And check all recall checks/mods have been performed.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Once broken in, if you ride on the street, don't ride it below about 6000 rpm. Supposedly this helps prolong valve life. Also, consider adding Techron or Startron or some other snake oil to keep the top end clean.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks guys

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.