Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that ducati are not taking any more orders for 899s in the UK and are launching 5 new bikes in the coming weeks. The Monster 1200R is the first out of the bag, does anyone have any more info on a possible 899 refresh or replacement?

Sorry if there's already a thread about this, but I can't see one.

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
Test road one a couple weeks ago (899), you could not force me to take one over my 848 even if it was free...

Attachments

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
I rode an 899 back to back with my 848 and yeah I'll stick with the 848. There won't be an "R" model 899 and most likely no revisions unless they end up with a plethora of spare 1199 parts like they did when they created the 848 Corse from the outgoing 1198 spares.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
I didn't ride back to back but the 749 was a bit more mechanical and quite down on power compared to the 848. Even the regular 999 was a bit lethargic compared to the 848. After seeing the power to weight ratio of the 3 bikes I understood why the 848 felt a fair bit quicker. The seating position of the 749/999 was a fair bit more aggressive on the wrists compared to the 848.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep, it would have cost me 4k (sterling) to part ex for an 899. It simply was not worth it.

It is a 'better' bike though in boring technical terms, but its not more enjoyable, which is what counts.

I'm now looking for an older daytona 675 to compliment the 848. I want something totally different that I can jump between.

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
so what did you guys not like about the 899 ?
I liked the quick shift and gear indicator but that's about it. The bike felt twitchy, felt smaller than the 848, could not get comfortable had to lean on my arms/wrists. I'm sure with some aftermarket stuff it could get better but my 848 stock felt like I was made for it. Just didn't seem to have a personality?

Reactions: Frogger22

·
Registered
136 Posts
For the most part I liked the 899 for the reasons you don't. The wide handlebars and steering geometry make the bike telepathic... Barely have to steer to get it leaned over and I don't have to reach a mile to get to the bars. It does feel smaller than the 848 in every way, but I see that as a good thing. Add the quick shifter, the slick precise feel of the transmission, the confidence inspiring stability at lean, and the top-end rush and I was/am hooked.

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I will have to disagree with all of the 899 haters. I owned and tracked an 848 evo prior to my 899. The 899 IMHO is better in all respects when it comes to performance, as well as comfort. Looks are subjective and the amount you will pay to "upgrade" from an 848 to an 899 is in the eye of the beholder. The handling out of the box is very much sorted when compared to an 848. You get all of the rider aides and a small boost in power. I think the only thing I liked better about the 848 evo was the brakes and thats it! If you were to offer me a free 848evo or a 899 I would go 899 every day, especially if I was track riding the bike.

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
I will have to disagree with all of the 899 haters. I owned and tracked an 848 evo prior to my 899. The 899 IMHO is better in all respects when it comes to performance, as well as comfort. Looks are subjective and the amount you will pay to "upgrade" from an 848 to an 899 is in the eye of the beholder. The handling out of the box is very much sorted when compared to an 848. You get all of the rider aides and a small boost in power. I think the only think I liked better about the 848 evo was the brakes and thats it! If you were to offer me a free 848evo or a 899 I would go 899 every day, especially if I was track riding the bike.
It's all subjective :D, the bike is not or me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.