Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an integrated tail light to clean up the rear a bit and combine the turn signals and rear brake light. Any options available yet? TIA.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Seem like a really small brake light section, will it work ok?

At anyrate, I got a VFX kit for my Honda and to date, one of the best mods I did for the bike however I don't think they make anything for Ducati. :(

Jason

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yea, I can see them making an integrated LED kit for the 1098. Shouldn't be too hard, but from a practical stand point and maybe a legal one.... Most of these kits do nothing but cause you to get pulled over.

In all the incidents I've been or have been around, the rider (and myself) was pulled over because there were no turn signals on the bike. Now we all know police sometimes have nothing better to do than to look for a reason to pull someone over, but not having turn signals makes it just to easy for them to do so.

When you go ahead and show them how the rear brake light is your "turn signal", you stand a 50/50 chance of getting off the hook. Some cops are cool with it, while the majority will still write you up for simply "not having turn signals".

It's really annoying! Last but not least, sometimes these integrated turn signal kits, if on a small tail section (like the 1098 in example), it makes it hard to really see the turning signal (blinking half). It most cases it just looks like the whole tail light is blinking and difficult to tell which side, unless you're right up on someones tail.

IMO, a nice set of mini LED blinkers in place of where the OEM ones were keeps things looking trick, while at the same time "legal"....

Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Funny, that you are so concern about the blinkers, but you have those termis sticking out like sore thumbs and making those booming sound....:) I am assuming you are getting termis or some other after market illegal cans.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Guess i will have to wait and see what companies come out with. Of course the Termi's sticking out the rear of my Tri are an exception. Would not quite describe it as a booming sound, but then again the sound is hard to put into words.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm sure all of the companies that produce fender eliminator kits will have something out soon. The tail section definitely needs to be cleaned up. Also waiting for Zero Gravity to release a double bubble screen.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
boduc said:
Funny, that you are so concern about the blinkers, but you have those termis sticking out like sore thumbs and making those booming sound....:) I am assuming you are getting termis or some other after market illegal cans.
Well yes, I will be getting the Termi's on my bike, but police in the NYC tri-state don't pull you over just by looking at what kind of exhaust system you have on your bike. They see the cans, they see an exhaust... So you're not likely to be pulled over for such an infraction.

The blinkers however, if they don't see them, you're getting the red and blue salute! It's that simple...

The majority of the exhaust systems on bikes these days are not road legal, but police do not have a list of each and every model and brand for reference. They also have to be within inches to read the FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY stamp on the pipes. It's rare, well at least in my neck of the woods to get pulled over for your exhaust, unless you're doing some stupid things and you're disturbing people around you.

My whole comment on the blinker issues wasn’t so much if they were legal or not, but more a reasoning for the local five o to pull you over. I personally enjoy riding and do not like to be pulled over for stupid things, so I keep my bike as "five o compliant" as possible...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Unfortunately here in SoCal, all they need is just to hear the loud sound. They won't care what brand, if it's loud they will have a reason to pull you over. Specially when they need some quota to fulfill. On most days they wont care about minor stuff like that. I had my 900SS with loud cans for over 12 yrs and only been pulled over once for it. Funny thing is the other time I got pulled over was for speeding and he didn't even care about my loud cans.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had modified rear ends on my last two bikes, with blinkers in the tail section or 1 row of led's below it. Never had issues, but I use hand signals when riding in town. You'd be surprised how many people really pay attention to you when you stick out your arm!!!

As for loud cans, had two brothers racing cans on my vtr.........I could drown out a harley and never got pulled over, but I wasn't riding it like a squid either. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
emailed clear alternatives...response was that the integrated tail light is scheduled for release in june. options will be red, clear andn smoked. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
joke?

boduc said:
Funny, that you are so concern about the blinkers, but you have those termis sticking out like sore thumbs and making those booming sound.
Boduc,

What's so funny? The termis sound fantastic and the blinkers look like junk. Legal ramifications aside, installing the termis and removing the turn signals makes perfect sense to me.

Elton

·
Registered
80 Posts
What about the side vents on either side of the tail? Seems like they would be a perfect location to integrate rear turn signals. Am kinda surprised that Duc didn't do it that way in the first place as they integrated the front ones into the mirrors. Suppose it may be an exhaust heat vent issue though as the seat already gets way hot.

·
Registered
100 Posts
DucatiGuy said:
Well yes, I will be getting the Termi's on my bike, but police in the NYC tri-state don't pull you over just by looking at what kind of exhaust system you have on your bike. They see the cans, they see an exhaust... So you're not likely to be pulled over for such an infraction.

The blinkers however, if they don't see them, you're getting the red and blue salute! It's that simple...

The majority of the exhaust systems on bikes these days are not road legal, but police do not have a list of each and every model and brand for reference. They also have to be within inches to read the FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY stamp on the pipes. It's rare, well at least in my neck of the woods to get pulled over for your exhaust, unless you're doing some stupid things and you're disturbing people around you.

My whole comment on the blinker issues wasn’t so much if they were legal or not, but more a reasoning for the local five o to pull you over. I personally enjoy riding and do not like to be pulled over for stupid things, so I keep my bike as "five o compliant" as possible...
It's not really a concern here (Texas). Blinkers are not required on motorcycles, they don't even check them on the annual inspection. We don't have to worry about giving the cops a reason to pull us over either, cause by law, they can pull motorcycles over without ANY reason. If they want to look at your helmet or see if you have a license or insurance or just look at your bike, they can. I've been pulled over twice for NOTHING; it was, "license and insurance, please" and then 'have a nice day". Sucks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have deleted the sig's on all of my bikes including this one...for that matter I've deleted the license plate too. Mainly b/c I don't like the way it looks. Believe it or not I've been pulled over once in four years for the no plate thing and was just asked to put it on. I'd like to see an intergrated rear lamp but until then.....oh, and Paul's right on the money about Texas.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Dibs said:
I have deleted the sig's on all of my bikes including this one...for that matter I've deleted the license plate too. Mainly b/c I don't like the way it looks. Believe it or not I've been pulled over once in four years for the no plate thing and was just asked to put it on. I'd like to see an intergrated rear lamp but until then.....oh, and Paul's right on the money about Texas.
We wouldn't be able to get away with that in Canada! But it sure looks good all cleaned up like that. Nice cover and pressure plate...:yo:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey anyone have any new or updated news on this? I'm looking everywhere for rear integrated tail lights but nothing seems to be available anywhere. Not from Clear Alternatives not from Custom LED, nothing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Devil,
the stock rear light is a set of LED, not a regular bulb.
they point upright and use a reflector that's why it looks like a regular bulb.
the turn signals use a regular bulb. i guess ducati couldn't find a nice integrated solution which will go for every country and went for a cheap solution instead.
NB

1 - 20 of 20 Posts