Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ST Owners? I took the plunge on a 1098S, but I couldn't part with my ST4S for those long hauls and two up riding with the wife.
Just curious.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a ST owner

Hi there,

I also own a ST4s. I am seriously looking at either trading the bike for a new 1098 or buying the 1098 also. Don’t really want to part with the ST. Or more to the point give it away. I have only done about 2000 miles and it’s immaculate. Have you upgraded to the Ducati Carbon Fibre performance exhaust/airbox and filter. Like you my wife likes riding pinion.

I saw the 1098 in the flesh today at a nearby dealer. Didn’t get to test ride the bike but sat on it and instantly noticed its lightness. Unfortunately I couldn’t get much sense regarding a ballpark figure on the ST against the 1098. Didn’t take the ST with me as it’s off the road in the garage at present, so rode my old MZ Scorpion up there. Unless I was willing to commit to the bike there and then they didn’t seem too bothered. Disappointing, since also bought the ST from the same dealer about two years ago.

What is your experience with dealers? I have also heard stories about dealers charging £25 a test ride on the 1098 in the UK. How long have you owned the ST. Mine is a 2003 model, registered in 2004.

Good to know there’s other ST rider on this forum.

Regards

Stu

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 06 ST3. Black one, love it. My wife has a yellow 1098 on order, I think we will be battling over it this summer. She has a couple other bikes. 02 1100 Honda Blackbird, and a Zuk SV 650

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, I've got an '02 ST4s, just fitted a pair of Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's and it's just transformed the bike. They are without doubt the best road tyres I've ever had. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Stu,
I have SIL C/F slip ons and I'm running the PCIII and BMC filter, the bike rips for a "touring" ride. Mine is a 2004 abs model, I picked it up on ebay in early 2005 with 600 miles on it for just under 10g USD. So at that price (I stole it) I will keep her forever. For the long rides, there's nothing that will touch it for comfort but still with the sportbike feel.
I'm sure that the 4s will be a little lonely for a while, my 1098s arrives in about 4 weeks.
Take care!

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
ST Owner here.

I have 99 ST4 that I bought off a friend. The poor thing sat for several years.

It had about 5000 miles on it when I bought it last summer, and I put it away with over 12000 on it.

I LOVE my ST4 :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2000 ST4 which is my "cruiser". Much better for distance than the other two bikes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went and put my 2002 ST4s on consignment at the Ducati shop that sold me my 1098. I have had several offers on it that were way to low. I am thinking that I might just keep it for the weekend rides and for 2up situations. Still love it I guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
new member here...

own & love an '02 ST4s...added remus titanium cans/sargent seat and cat bars...now
it's even more lovable. always interested in rides around nocal...west marin...sonoma co., etc.

question to other owners:

sell the stock seat (perfect w/ lock, etc)...cans & bars?

later!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got rid of an 03 K1200GT and bought an 05 ST3. Going to St Louis Fri a.m. to pick it up and bring it home. Power commander, heli bars, ferracci slip ons. I am stoked for the bike and the first ride...
I am SSOOOO gonna miss my BMW cruise control.
and the guys on the BMW K forum..
Ahh an italian redhead for the summer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
devilisht2003 said:
hows the st3 compare to the st4? thinkin about selling my XX and getting an ST for 2up riding and long rides.
Devilisht2003,

I recently test rode an ST3 and found the low end power to be a little torquier, but my piped and chipped 2000 ST4 pulls harder higher in the rev range. Also, the suspension seemed softer and the seat even cushier than my Corbin. Overall a nice bike but I still preferred my ST4, maybe because that's what I'm used to.

Now, if I can only get another 1099 motor to replace that 916 in the ST4....

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have both a ST-4s '02 and a 1098s. We just got back from a 4,072 mile trip on the ST. With its large top box and the panniers, it handles touring duties admirably.
Ciao!
Bill

Attachments

1 - 20 of 86 Posts