Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michelin Inviting Racers To Take Michelin Power Evo Challenge

Sounds like an awesome deal, but how the hell do I get it? I clicked on 3 of those distributors they listed and didn't see anywhere that you can get a free front with the purchase of a rear :confused:

In fact I didn't even see any of the EVO's...are they not out yet? They said it starts May 1st.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Michelin Inviting Racers To Take Michelin Power Evo Challenge

Sounds like an awesome deal, but how the hell do I get it? I clicked on 3 of those distributors they listed and didn't see anywhere that you can get a free front with the purchase of a rear :confused:

In fact I didn't even see any of the EVO's...are they not out yet? They said it starts May 1st.
Yeah, well they heard about you badmouthing them on the Forum cause Michelin didn't hire you!!! See, what goes around, comes around..

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
BTW Rub, my Michelin Man is shipping two sets of the new Michelin Slicks on Tuesday for the Road America and Grattan AHRMA events.... at least that is what I am hoping!!!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, well they heard about you badmouthing them on the Forum cause Michelin didn't hire you!!! See, what goes around, comes around..
Haha! Good one Bob! :eek:

As a matter of fact though, while I was trying to search through those distributors for that deal mentioned in the article, I stumbled upon some slicks that were on sale. Just ordered myself a set of 120/200 Michelin Power Slicks for $350 and free shipping. That's about as good of a deal as you can get for a set of slicks of that size from any brand at the moment, even cheaper than the Dunlops!

My guess is they're trying to eliminate their inventory so they can make room for the new EVO's, which is what I initially wanted to get.

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anyone else wants some, and if you're nice to me, I'd be happy to share the link. They only had 9 sets left after I purchased mine (or so they say...).

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
What compound did you buy? I assume you are talking about the Power Slick model... really good tire
That is what I have been using for two or three years....29psi front, 21psi rear.... cold measurement. Remember the 200 is 10mm taller than 190 but about as wide ...(rounder)... be sure and adjust your ride height accordingly....and check for clearance with the inside of the swing arm... don't wanna Rub,
no pun intended.....

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What compound did you buy? I assume you are talking about the Power Slick model... really good tire
That is what I have been using for two or three years....29psi front, 21psi rear.... cold measurement. Remember the 200 is 10mm taller than 190 but about as wide ...(rounder)... be sure and adjust your ride height accordingly....and check for clearance with the inside of the swing arm... don't wanna Rub,
no pun intended.....
Soft front, Medium rear...that's all that was available I think. There was no option to chose from. I'm not familiar with anything regarding Michelins, but I believe it said compound A for front and C for the rear.

Do you happen to know exact dimensions for those, or where I can look to find that out?

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Soft front, Medium rear...that's all that was available I think. There was no option to chose from. I'm not familiar with anything regarding Michelins, but I believe it said compound A for front and C for the rear.

Do you happen to know exact dimensions for those, or where I can look to find that out?
Michelin Power Slick 20/69
overall diameter = 663.5 mm
section width = 200mm
my calculated c=2083.39

Michelin Power Slick 19/69
overall diameter = 652.8 mm
section width = 195 mm
my calculated c=2049.79

Recommended press are 30-31 front and 21-22 rear, cold
I found I liked 29 front and 21 rear, cold
I would check the tire pressure in the am, before warmers,
and again after the lunch break after cool down...

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Oh, almost forgot!!!

Cartoon Line art Clip art Animated cartoon Illustration

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn, that's a lot bigger than my current Bridgestone V01, which is 649 mm. What about the front Michelin? Do you know the diameter of that one? My front V01 is 600 mm, just seeing if I need to adjust front height as well.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, regarding pressure, what would be hot (off the track or off warmers) pressure for those tires? Personally, I don't like when people use "cold pressure" as a comparison standard because what exactly is "cold"? There is a big difference between April in Nebraska vs July in Florida. That could be the difference between 50 degrees and 100 degrees. Always best to have a more controlled comparison standard, such as hot off the warmers, because then you know the tires will be around 170 degrees (+/- 10).

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Front.....

Overall Diameter.... 606 mm
Section Width ....118 mm

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I always considered "cold" to be ambient Temp/humidity.... as is..
I have never used "hot" pressures, always cold....... for similar reasons you mentioned above....
Guess it is what you have been "told" to do by the Tire Guys, in my case, The Bibb Men I purchase the tires... One in particular, I have been buying Michelin from for almost four decades!!!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thanks! Much appreciated! I'll leave the front height as is, because 3 mm higher won't make much of a difference to me, but I'll definitely lower the rear to account for the 7 mm difference in radius (height).

I have about 1 day left on my V01's, and if I'm not able to go to High Plains at the end of June, then it looks like I'll be switching tires after the 1st day at Road America.

By the way, are the Michelins uni-directional or not? I know the Bridgestones are, but Dunlops can be flipped the other way (the rears, don't think the fronts are).

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the new Evo dots on the r6. I bought 2 rears and got the front free through motorider. Still working on getting the pressures right. I cold tore the shit out of my rear last weekend and I was all the way down to 22 hot in the rear. Will put a new one on for road america but I will be running 20 hot on the rear there. I saw another teams tires and they looked fantastic and that's where they were at...

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was told by someone on the STT forum (whom also have Sportbike Tire Service, one of the Michelin distributors) that this deal is only valid from distributors at the track, can't get them online. Also, didn't realize it was buy 2 rears, get 1 front free. In the article I read it didn't mention that...or maybe I missed it. Makes sense because it did say it's for racers only, so I imagine you have to show your license, or stickers/wrist bands/etc. whatever they give you at the track during a race weekend that you could prove you're a racer, or else everyone would just buy a bunch online and then sell them to make money.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Here you go Rub..... from France, with Love..... :)

Text Font Label

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'm just going to post this here because Rub and Bob are active in this thread. I got tired of you arguing over who owes who a hat. So fight it out between you, pick a winner then tell me where to post them to :D (both new, unused, just a tad dusty )

Attachments

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Rub can have the Michelin, (I have a bunch of Michelin swag)..
But I do like the Ducati 848 Challenge cap.... :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.