Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fellow ducati.org members, please help me spread the word about a poker run that I'm coordinating to benefit the Down Syndrome Association of Hampton Roads on April 26th. We'll be starting at the Tysinger Mercedes-Benz showroom in Hampton, VA at 9 AM. Tysinger Motors is graciously providing bagels, donuts, and coffee for all registered participants. We'll be having a 50/50 drawing, as well as prizes for winning hands and raffles for all participants.

We have confirmed stops in Yorktown (Custom Care Care on Rt. 17) and Williamsburg (Shorty's Diner and Auto Haus Classics) and are expecting to soon be able to confirm the finish in Hampton. I'm expecting to require people to be checked in at the start by 10:30, at the latest, and probably at the finish by 1:30. I'm hoping to run some expected routes this weekend to get a better idea of the time frame.

We're still in the process of gathering prizes and sponsors, so I'll try to update this thread as I have more info. However, I do know that David Lillard, president of Redline Performance Motorsports in Yorktown, is planning on being one of our primary supporters. For those of you that don't know, Redline carries Ducati, Triumph, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi, and Aprilia, so we're hoping to attract more than just the typical Harley crowd. The event is also open to all types of vehicles, so we're expecting some car clubs to take part.

Preregistration and more information is available at Down Syndrome Association of Hampton Roads and on the Facebook page for the Down Syndrome Association of Hampton Roads (https://www.facebook.com/events/1585324618374003/). Please don't hesitate to contact me directly with any questions and help spread the word. This should be a fun event to raise money for a great cause!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Our bikes don't get along well with the chug chug bam bam bark bark horrible noise of the open pipes you often find on Harleys riding from bar to bar in search of a poker card.

It's time we motorcyclists speak up about not being "bikers" but rather enthusiasts who really do care about the riding aspect more than the iconic experience. It is such a shame that many non motorcyclists and even many riders, unfortunately, think of Harley as being a "motorcycle" whenever the subject comes up. They seem to be omnipresent and ipso facto call all the shots whenever the concept of motorcycling turns up!

What I would love to see is a transition to a display of incredible, high performance motorcycles in a show, which all rev up and take off in a responsible manner to go on a sporting ride as the main event. All done within legal road limits, entertaining the crowd as they leave the line up. No poker, no games, no cruisers. This would be open to only performance machines, devoid of ape hangers.

I would be thrilled to make a generous donation to be a part of such a refreshing idea.

Children love to watch real bikes ridden by real riders and would learn something about a positive image in this scenario.

This remains my dream, because the logistics involved would be difficult at the least. How can we keep the ape hangers out? They might cry discrimination!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Allow me to apologize for being a comedian. Having "fun" at another's expense is wrong. And that's what I was trying to accomplish. After all, who am I to judge? We Ducati riders like loud pipes and a demonstrative riding position as much as the noise and clatter the HD folks seem to enjoy along with their reclined, incorrect and unsuitable riding positions with their feet out forward in the wind.

The lack of posting here seems to indicate the lack of interest in this lame topic. I've heard comments from the poker run crowd to the effect "To each, their own" as they snicker and sneer at a torture rack. Yes, it's my choice to torture myself on a bike that asks you to be an athlete and develop muscle memory to be comfortable on it. What do "they" choose? If you really want to see a display of the ridiculous, just attend a few poker runs and you will soon learn.

Somebody has to come up with something totally unique to solve this quandary!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.