Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all Arai helmet buffs-

I'm coming from an RF-1200 helmet and looking to buy an Arai Defiant helmet. From doing research, Arai makes different head shapes. Looks like long oval, intermediate oval and round oval. Looks like their current offerings are all intermediate oval except for the signet-q, which is long oval. They currently do NOT have any round oval shapes.

I would think i'm an intermediate oval. My question is, how important are these internal head shapes? Is it important for safety or more a comfort thing? I know size is important, but wondering if this Defiant would fit and is truly intermediate oval (if it even really matters).

·
Registered
399 Posts
I always wear arai helmets and love them! i would always try them on before ordering one to see what fits the best! don.t always go by arai sizing! i would go to your local dealer and try them on to see what fit's the best! they should fit snug and should not be able to turn the helmet from side to side or up and down!

·
Administrator
2,935 Posts
It's very much about both, ejewels. If the helmet doesn't fit the shape of your head properly, there's a gap somewhere around it that will allow momentum to build before the head impacts the inside of the helmet liner. Bad.

Also, fit makes a huge difference in comfort. I can't wear the Corsair...the pressure in the center of my forehead is unbearable within a single lap! It just gets worse from there. I wear the Signet series, as its' the only one that fits my long oval head properly. And I sold Arai for most of my 30 years in dealerships.

In a pinch, I could wear an intermediate oval for a couple of hours, but that's it.

Take the time to get fitted properly by someone who knows what they're doing. It's worth it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wore Suomy helmets for years and changed to an Arai Corsair this year. Absolutely follow the advice of charliebrown266 and WERA689 and have your Arai properly fitted. Lots of changeable parts (headliner, cheek pads, etc.) to custom fit the helmet to your head for safety and comfort.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My two cents...I have been wearing Arai helmets for over 10 years. Along with everyone else get fitted first. The Defiant is there newest helmet and most organic shaped helmet. Meaning it's not as contoured as the RX-7 or Corsair V. Try it on first, but it's hard not to love Arai they make awesome helmets.

Reactions: WERA689
1 - 5 of 5 Posts