Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.buzzfeed.com/abagg/postman-must-love-dogs#.gce7GBn0y

What a nice guy...I liked the ending too :p! But this makes me wonder...is it typical for postmen in Australia to deliver mail via scooters, and riding over people's lawns like that? I noticed a lot of those mail boxes were not accessible from the street like here in the US, so the scooter sure makes it easier, but if you were in a car you'd have to get out and walk to every box.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And none of those people that have those nice lawns care about someone driving over them?? I personally wouldn't care, but I'm not one of those crazies that thinks the lawn is the most important part of life, but I've seen many people around here that are like that...you even so to spit on their lawn and all hell breaks loose!

I had a neighbor once that I've seen trimming his lawn with what appeared to be regular scissors....i can only imagine that driving anything with wheels over that guy's lawn would be more than enough reason for murder! :p

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Where he rides is mostly council land so he can ride there if he chooses . Can't imagine the scooter will do much or any damage .

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Where he rides is mostly council land so he can ride there if he chooses . Can't imagine the scooter will do much or any damage .
If you get mail delivered every day you can end up with a small track (less luxuriant growth) in the lawn but most people don't give a rats arse. As W17 says, the local Council owns the footpath or verge. It's possibly a requirement by the postal service that all mailboxes are to be placed on the property boundary.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you get mail delivered every day you can end up with a small track (less luxuriant growth) in the lawn but most people don't give a rats arse. As W17 says, the local Council owns the footpath or verge. It's possibly a requirement by the postal service that all mailboxes are to be placed on the property boundary.
Quite right.

I think there is also a minimum height the mail box is supposed to be fixed at.
I think it's 900 mm from memory.

If Australia post has it's way in the future they will be delivering the mail twice a week instead of every day.
There was talk of cutting out the mail delivery altogether, and getting you to pick it up from the post office yourself:(

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quite right.
There was talk of cutting out the mail delivery altogether, and getting you to pick it up from the post office yourself:(
That sounds pretty barbaric! :eek:

Here in the US, the postal services are constantly losing money, so a couple of years ago they announced they won't be delivering mail on Saturdays anymore (only M - F)....I don't know what ever happened to that because I still seem to get mail on Saturdays :)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Hell, the HOA in the states sees this video and i'm sure they'll hopping on a plane to Australia to raise hell but not on the mailman, instead they'll get on the house owners for not "blah blah blah"

·
Registered
81 Posts
That sounds pretty barbaric! :eek:

Here in the US, the postal services are constantly losing money, so a couple of years ago they announced they won't be delivering mail on Saturdays anymore (only M - F)....I don't know what ever happened to that because I still seem to get mail on Saturdays :)
If I recall correctly we have never had a mail delivery service on a Saturday:(
Probably before my time when there was a 6 day working week.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned profitability. That's what it's all about.
At the end of the day that's what you get when you sell off, privatise, or semi privatise what was previously a government entity with obligations the tax payer.

It used to be the PMG (Post Master General) and they were responsible for all the Telephones and Mail.

Now the telephones are sold off and opened up to private entities where we have much more choice of less service.
And the post offices are now privately owned and free to set their own hours, with the mail service (Australia Post as they now call it) looking at ways to improve the bottom line where ever it can.
Obviously all options are on the table, including the frequency of deliveries.
It's simply easier and cheaper to send an Email or a TXT message now.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They'd have much better profitability if they stopped delivering some much junk mail! Not sure if it's the same for you guys, but around here, I'd say 70-75% of the mail I get is junk mail (ads, credit card offers, free magazines from stores...with more ads, etc.)

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does that actually work Pat??

These guys would just ignore it. I've always wanted to put a note in the mail box saying that if it's not addressed directly to me or it doesn't come in an envelope, don't bother! lol....but again, it wouldn't work because they would just ignore it!

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
It does work - the junk mail people know that they'll get complaints if they ignore them.

But of course the advertisers are getting more cunning, and posting their crap to you as a proper letter.

So we still get the odd one.

It's funny how something as seemingly inconsequential as mail delivery can give an insight into the subtle differences between our two societies.

When I first came to Adelaide (in 1973) I worked in a bike shop which had the contract for the postie bikes. They were 150 Vespas then.

We used to test ride them three or four abreast around the block (in a quiet residential area) like GP racers. We always went 'round the block turning left so we wouldn't scrape a hole in the crankcase..

The little Honda CT110 postie bike came in around 1975.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was actually a motorcycle postie here in Qld for about 2 months (about 10 years ago), before I realized Australia Post were not a very good employer, and quit. Mostly the co-workers were very good, and I enjoyed the work. Just not the organization.
However, you have no idea how dangerous those little scooters are, especially after rain on the grass. Front wheel slides, rear wheel slides, two wheel slides! Was a hoot, but a bit crazy!
I especially liked the primary school children who'd shout out: Hello Mr Postman!
Pity they become teenagers.
Australia Post are always hiring (high staff turnover). But they've mostly changed it to a part-time job now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.