Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out riding today, a good 60 mile jog some speed some cruise. On the way home decided to pass a slow driver. Once passed while excellerating the bike just seemed to lose fuel - spuddered and hesitated then shut off. It restarted back up fine , it just spuddered and studdered all the way home with an occasional clean excellerating pick up.

Is it safe to say first start with the fuel filler ?

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Could be any number of things, of course, but fuel delivery would certainly be a candidate. This is a 996 I take it?

If you haven't replaced the filter recently you should do that by way of elimination, and check the spark plugs while you're there.

But better to alter one thing at a time (as in replacing plugs and filter) if you want to know what it was.

You need spark, fuel and compression, in simple terms, all at the right times, so keep a broad mind.

But although fuel filters are due at set periods, it only takes one load of dirty fuel to clog them up. Their usual symptom is running OK at low revs, but a reluctance to rev.

Unless they're completely blocked, of course.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Of course, you realize that removing the home-made filter elements from the airbox means that you then need to reinstall air filters in the stock locations in the air runners, right?

I recommend Pipercross MPX038 filters but you still need the stock filters' plastic frames.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Coincidentally enough I mentioned the various solutions to the 916 - 998 air filter situation just the other day on a thread about 1X98 air filtration..

The story is, the stock foam elements for these models, which mount at an angle in the air tubes, were not very efficient in passing air volume, as I had referred to in that thread.

Different afrermarket filters were offered which mounted in the airbox where your home-made ones are. They usually had a domed-inwards form to increase surface area, unlike those efforts in yours..

Choose a set of air filters that you are going to stay with - I have learned to take note of Shazaam's recommendations on these matters - and go from there.

With 'proper' air filters, a new fuel filter and spark plugs, and fresh fuel, your problems may disappear.

But as I said earlier, if you want to learn, and know what caused your issue, you need to do one thing at a time.

But I hope this fixes your problem.

:)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone.

I was thinking of putting air filters in the air ducts instead - it would be easier to replace then putting them in the air box....right ?

Gonna check my local dealer tomorrow for these items.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Thanks everyone.

I was thinking of putting air filters in the air ducts instead - it would be easier to replace then putting them in the air box....right ?

Gonna check my local dealer tomorrow for these items.
Not really, unless you have difficulty removing the tank.

The airbox-style filters are readily accessible once the tank is off. The stock ones in the airtubes are a bit of a PITA.

The airtubes, with their multitude of screws and fragile plastic, are a bit 'fiddly' to work on. I have often encountered these tubes in poor condition, with broken tabs etc.

My understanding is that the airbox-type elements allow a better air flow.

Maybe do a bit of reading on the subject, or start another thread canvassing opinions from long-time owners of these models.

By the time you buy the stock plastic frames for the in-tube filters (if you don't have them) you may find aftermarket airbox-type elements are cheaper.

And probably available quicker from Ebay or similar than your dealer ordering parts in etc.

But the actual stock elements are only cut from thin foam sheet, which can be purchased as air-element-specific bulk material.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had the bike for 10 years and have had very little issues - the air runners have never had ANYTHING in them , and no screens in the front openings.
Whatever air filter I go with I hope it don't effect the running performance negatively.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I understood that filters that fit over the inner end of the air ducts were the preferred option.

I wouldn't be putting filters over the actual bellmouths above the intake throat. You still want to have the airbox volume of 'still air' available, and already filtered.

As to the mesh screen at the front of the fairing - the 916 - 998 mesh was very fine, and probably a little restrictive. But you should have something to pre-filter the larger particles/insects etc.

Maybe try making that screen out of coarser mesh, like on the 1098-onwards models.

But new filters on the inner end of the air ducts (where your present ones sat) with a bulbous form to increase surface area should provide your solution.

If they are decent quality your bike should breathe better than it did. I'm sure Ebay offers a variety of choices.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.