Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Airbag jackets have been around for more then a decade BTW. The two companies who made them in the US, both went out of business from lack of interest. Dainese's system is almost identical to the older airvest design, with one exception. The standard airvest has a little wire which connects you to the bike. So when you fall off, the system is deployed. This new system, uses sensors on the motorcycle to trigger the airbag release. Did you notice it said "incase of a head on or rear impact collision". That means, when YOU fall off the bike, it doesn't inflate, only if you run into something or something runs into you. So its not quite that functional yet, but its a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Airbag jackets have been around for more then a decade BTW. The two companies who made them in the US, both went out of business from lack of interest. Dainese's system is almost identical to the older airvest design, with one exception. The standard airvest has a little wire which connects you to the bike. So when you fall off, the system is deployed. This new system, uses sensors on the motorcycle to trigger the airbag release. Did you notice it said "incase of a head on or rear impact collision". That means, when YOU fall off the bike, it doesn't inflate, only if you run into something or something runs into you. So its not quite that functional yet, but its a step in the right direction.
Yes, I know airbag jackets have been around...that is not at all the point of this thread.

This is the first wireless system integrated directly with the bike.

You must have missed the part where the vest inflates "in case of a sliding accident". Which means if the bike goes into a slide or a situation which will cause you to fall off, the system will inflate without wires required.

The way i see it, if the bike does something uncharacteristic while the system is active, it activates, on or off the bike.

You could be launched off the bike and as the bike senses shit going bad, the system quickly activates before you hit the ground.

Sign me up!

And of course, if the system doesn't inflate you are still in the same situation you would be in due to any normal crash...

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I wonder how the inflatable motoGP suits work...I think those use accelerometers rather than being connected to the bike.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
This is the first wireless system integrated directly with the bike.
Riiiight, but its only if the bike detects sliding or something wrong. Most crashes happen without the bike capable of detecting those things, which is why we wind up on the ground in the first place. If the bike DID detect them, the electronics would try to compensate ABS/TC.

I just think its a worthless design. An airbag is not going to be that much help in a head-on car collision with any real speed. The system doesn't protect you for the MAJORITY of crashes, which are low-sides or high-sides from loosing front or rear traction.

Standard airbag jackets use a tether, so the moment you fall off the bike, they inflate. So I don't see this new high-tech and assumedly very expensive system to be anything new or unique. Its just another thing for people to spend money on that isn't a complete solution.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
It sure did one thing though! Gave you a reason to be a debbie downer....again.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
It sure did one thing though! Gave you a reason to be a debbie downer....again.
Sorry Rub, the title of the thread was "AWESOME new technology from Ducati". Unfortunately, there isn't anything awesome about it. Just another way for people to get ripped off at your local Ducati dealership. :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
Old tech, new tech, it may not be the Holy Grail of protection, but an airbag system will certainly help lesson injuries in some scenarios. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. :)

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Old tech, new tech, it may not be the Holy Grail of protection, but an airbag system will certainly help lesson injuries in some scenarios. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. :)
But it doesn't protect against anything but situations where the bike has an impact. When was the last time ANY ONE OF US was run into on a bike OR ran into a car? Most crashes have nothing to do with another vehicle.

·
Registered
133 Posts
But it doesn't protect against anything but situations where the bike has an impact. When was the last time ANY ONE OF US was run into on a bike OR ran into a car? Most crashes have nothing to do with another vehicle.
Tyre did I mention a vehicle in my comments? I said in certain situations helpful, not all. I chose my words carefully as to not incite critism. It obviously got lost on you :)

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Notice in the video, they stopped showing the bike hits car impact when the rider left the seat. Thats because after that point, there isn't much you can do but fly. If you hit a vehicle, you're in a lot of trouble and no airbag system is going to help enough. Imagine getting hit from the side or behind, you're lucky not to get run over, let alone killed. The airbag system will only help an infinitesimal amount, in an accident type which is extremely rare to begin with.

If you truly want to be protected on a motorcycle, wear a thick leather 1 piece suit, back protector, chest protector and a neck brace, everywhere you go. The equipment exists, its not expensive, its just that people simply don't wear it. The gear the airbag solution is mounted into, is nowhere near the protection of a leather suit.

My point is, Ducati is trying to market light-weight gear that supposedly will protect you better in a crash and in my view, they're lying through their teeth. I hate companies who know the truth and lie in order to sell products, that really pisses me off.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
They forgot to design the airbag for the nads. Quite painful when they slam into the tank. And yes I speak from experience.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
My point is, Ducati is trying to market light-weight gear that supposedly will protect you better in a crash and in my view, they're lying through their teeth. I hate companies who know the truth and lie in order to sell products, that really pisses me off.
Takes one to know one I guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts