Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Looking for some suggestions for some suitable storage space for my upcoming trip this spring.
I'm looking at getting a back pack and in doing some research looks like the A* tech aero, Ogio No Drag or the Kriega R would all do the job for a few of my things on the backpack side.
However I'm at a loss for a tank or tail bag. What would you recommend, tank or tail and what brand.

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use a tank bag and back pack on my Monster 696. The tank bag has a clear pocket on the top for maps/directions/gps if you are so inclined. It is a Ducati Performance bag specific to the newer plastic tank Monsters.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm undecided on the bike yet, it will either be a Monster, Panigale or Scrambler. I'm going to purchase it early summer either in CA or NV then ride up the coast into Oregon, cut over into Montana then hit Yellowstone before heading back to SD.
I'm leaning toward a tank bag just so I can have a map or something for directions right there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Get a tank bag with a mount system that bolts to gas cap area they are way easier to deal with when filling up at the gas station ( no straps to deal with )

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just ordered a Kriega R25, took advantage of the free gift and also ordered a Cube to go along with it.
Nick, I'm with you on that after looking at those kind of setups.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Tank bag on a Monster but tail bag on a Pani. Trying to navigate around a tank bag on a leaned over bike like the Pani is impossible and uncomfortable. The Monster would be fine due to it's up right seating position. Nelson Rigg make some great tank and tail bags that'll work on either bike. If you get the Monster, I'd go with a tank and tail and no backpack. Riding long distance with a backpack gets painful.

I tend to travel approx. 18,000K a year on my 848 and for multi day trips over 3 I use a Dowco Fastrax expandable tail bag and do laundry on the go. Packs enough clothes and bits and some tools to get the trip done. Most decent hotels will have laundry facilities near by if not on site.

·
Registered
346 Posts
highly recommend kriega bags. I have a us10, us20, tank adapter and R25. I have always been hesitant to wear a backpack while riding, but the R25 is barely noticeable. It feels a little awkward at first with the hump on my A*'s celer jacket but after a while i forget it's there. I use the R25 even when i'm off the bike(commuting to work) as it is by far the most comfortable backpack I have ever used. I use the US10 and US 20 for longer trips. best investments i've made.

I keep the tank adapter on even if I don't have a bag strapped to it because it acts as a tank protector when i'm laying on the tank during long highway stretches.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Good choice and another vote for Kriega backpacks. After having a few myself I won't ever buy another type, either for on the bikes or general use. The way it fits around your chest is so comfy and really carries the weight well over your whole torso instead of just on your shoulders.
I pack around my R15 daily as my "man purse".

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
anyone have or have used the Ducati tail bag for 848/1198 ? does it replace the passenger seat or attach to it ?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Redsand, try checking out Givi's tank lock bags. I just received my Givi 3D603 tankbag and really like it thus far. I also have a ventura Imola tail bag. This setup will be utilized (well, I may get another givi bag-the XS307 as it's bigger) to travel from southern Spain to the Isle of man for the races this year. I don't suggest riding with a backpack unless it's strapped to the bike, made that mistake when going from one end of Spain to the other (12 hours ride) and my buddy had to save me with his GS1200's massive panniers.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Kriega!!

30L roll bag. Was amazing!! Fit 4 pants, 5 shirts, 2 sweatshirts, flipflops, flat iron, makeup, etc.. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own and use a* aero backpack to ride around town or trips around socal/centralcal. It has served me well. It has many straps to tightly attach to my body. The backpack has all I need from good space, raincover, front buckles, and enough inside compartments for my personal stuff. It also has a space for insert back protector for added safety. Next time I go for a road trip, I will add tank bag to reduce backpack weight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts