Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an FYI for those curious about the 'Ballistic' lithium batteries and their life span.

I fitted one to my Hypermotard just over 3 years ago, mostly for the weight advantages. The bike gets daily use plus regular weekend rides.

Yesterday it finally died on me...... just a few weeks outside the manufacturers 3 year warranty period.

During yesterday's ride my bike developed a misfire under sudden hard throttle application. If I rolled the throttle on slowly it pulled cleanly without the misfire. We all assumed plugs were the culprit so I fitted a new set when I arrived home and test rode. The bike felt crisper but still suffered the same dramatic misfire on sudden throttle opening, regardless of RPM or bike speed.
All kinds of things were going through my head by this point........ TPS, ECU failing, weak coils, etc etc. :wtf:

The bike was still cranking over strongly so none of us considered the battery a possibility. I remembered having had problems with a previous bike that turned out to be the lithium battery, so I decided to test the easiest thing first.

Out of the bike the Ballistic showed a steady 13 plus volts but as soon as I load tested it the voltage dropped instantly to just 8 volts. I recharged fully and repeated the process 4 times with the same result. So this afternoon I threw in a 1 year old lead acid I had hanging around and test rode it and the misfire is gone. :D

So to sum up....

The Ballistic EVO 2 battery gave over 3 years of reliable daily service. Excellent value for the money I paid for it!

For those of you who prefer lithium batteries... keep in mind even if the bike is cranking over plenty fast enough to fire up, if you're having mysterious electrical issues remember to consider checking the battery first. ;)

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Hi there, and thanks for the tip.

Bet you were pleased when you worked out what it was.. ;)

I reckon my Shorai is over three years old now, but isn't used daily - far from it! Although historically battery life often related to time as much as mileage.

Worth knowing this sort of 'quirky' aspect to the new battery technology. The old ones wouldn't have behaved like that.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
It's stories like this and the ones of battery fires that make me not want to go this route. I have got 5-6 years of service from yuasa agm batteries in the last 20 plus years. I believe the lithium batteries are the future but at their current price and what I perceive as unproven history I'm not ready to jump on the band wagon for my street bikes. Now for track bike I may have a go, probably save 8-10 lbs? Very tempting. Thanks for the heads up info, great of you to inform us.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea the Ballistic's suffer from the same issues the Shori does… the DC/DC converter isn't high enough quality. It's very noisy, so the charging circuit is compromised. Shori has a special charger which bypasses the internal DC/DC converter using a special connector. This allows them to sell a product which lasts a lot longer since there is a direct connection to the batteries.

Companies like Antigravity, use high quality DC/DC converters and likewise, don't have those charging issues. I've used one daily for 5 years and my race bike has one which I installed 3 years ago. Both are working flawlessly to this day without any special charger.

Like I always say, buy the best, get the best. :)

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I paid 145 bucks for the Ballistic and it was perfect for what calculates to being in the vicinity of 2800+ starts. No special charging requirements either. It never went flat and never let me down in all that time. It also lasted for past its specified 3 year warranty. It didn't leave me stranded anywhere either! Considering all this I would not hesitate to recommend their reliability. Taking into account the Yuasa is 100 bucks more expensive, plus the weight advantages, I'll be looking out for another to replace it with.

My main purpose was to make people aware of the total reliability during the 3 years of use, then bring attention to the "quirky" (thanks Pat!) behavior of the bike after the battery started to fail..... to possibly assist people who may have mysterious misfire issues they cannot solve.

When the engine still cranks over strongly the battery is usually never considered as a possible problem. Obviously with the lithium technology this may not be the case.

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts