Ducati.org forum banner

Barn find 1098?

7K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  Zootcadillac 
#1 ·
Well not really...

So I thought I'd do something a little different...

See less See more
#4 ·
Well I have to say...

That is the FIRST time I have seen rusty plastic...

interesting..

Not my cup of tea... but I get it...

Kinda like I, personally, would love to go to one of those 'free' fitness workouts in the park.. take a back pack fulll of creambuns. then after every lap or circuit.. go back to the back pack for a cream bun before hitting the next circuit.. maybe I'll take some beers as well and down one between excercises.

It it yours Stu? or one you found?

#5 ·
Wow!

You mean you got all your bodywork ready to paint, then put all your bike back together for these pics?

And now you have to pull it all apart again to get painted, then put it all back together again?

I can tell that you haven't spent your whole life working on bikes! It all looks a bit hard to me I must say.

But I admire your dedication to your art.

Good on you for doing it. A bit like your Spider video - you have a good eye.

Thanks.

#6 · (Edited)
Well as Ducati owners and riders, you can probably assimilate that non owners have a tendency to tell you how your bike should look, where it should be ridden and how...Don't get me started with Ducati owner who think they are holier than thou.

So, let wind a few people up with a late model rat rod style Ducati and I hope it does wind people up...it's my bloody bike!

@pat1098 that is fresh out of my spray booth as of last Wednesday. Try rubbing down your fairings, you wont even come close to the same effect. This took weeks of trial and error to get it just right. It's also been finished of with 2 pak super matte clear so it's easy to maintain and is smooth as silk. No idea of the spider video you speak of?

After all, does world really need another blood shiny red Ducati...I say no!

By the way, all the original parts are preserved and owning a panel shop is handy :)

#13 ·
Interesting concept .. great pictures.

It would be more believable if the bike was 30-40 years old though. Just my $0.02 :)

#16 ·
So what exactly did you do? I find it a bit hard to tell from the black and white pictures. It sort of looks like you just took some sand paper and went crazy on the bike, but then it kind of has a grayish look to it.

It's interesting that's for sure...but in the end I feel like it would've been easier, cheaper, quicker, and more authentic-like if you would've just lowsided once on either side :eek:

#23 ·
That's the beauty of it, when I took it out the first time people assumed it'd been low sided, only to look around the whole bike and know it was impossible.

Just to clarify, there is not a single scratch on the bike. We trialled a few techniques to come up with this. Firstly the fairings and tank were prepped for paint (some minor damage), then painted a dark rusty brown with some yellower brown in certain spots, followed by grey and red.
Then the whole bike was wet sanded to reveal the lower colours to give the effect of ageing.
The whole lot was sealed off with 2 pak extra matte clear so it's easy to maintain.

The fairings are second hand Chinese knock offs and a second hand tank. All the pristine OEM gear is safely in storage.

This is what it usually looks like, couple hours work and I can have it back at that.

Untouched pic

Album here if you're interested

Ratty Ducati Photos by rxjet7 | Photobucket

#29 ·
Coming from a guy who is building a rat rod, getting these effects is extremely difficult, and I can imagine what it is like on plastic. I say good job regardless if it is what your are into or not. I wouldn't want it on my bike, but I think it looks great! The dedication to get it just right is amazing!

#31 ·
I have to be honest I'm not a huge fan of the distressed look on vehicles although it seems to be all the rage in the US right now with barn finds getting a clean and a clearcoat these days. I'm even less fond of the intentionally distressed look and this appears to be a little too intentional for me. The wear appears in areas that you would not expect.
Which is not in any way meant to take away from what you have done Stu. Your bike, your choice and you certainly have done what you intended and done it well, so well done for giving it a go.
Not my cup of tea but if you like it and you get the reactions you expect then more power to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.