Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first bike, a 2003 Monster 620 with 22K miles on it...

Quickly found I need to do the maintenance myself as there is nowhere within 100miles of me (Lebanon, NH) that works on these things.

So far I have replaced the clutch O rings for an oil leak (diagnosis thanks to this site!), done an oil change, changed out brake/clutch levers, fixed stuck brake light, changed out faulty LED turn signals... bla bla bla.

I have been working with some crap allen keys that were for a mtn bike (bending now) and some other tools laying around. Thinking I should get some better quality stuff and looking for suggestions on a basic, no frills kit, that will allow me to do most routine maintenance safely.

Does this exist? Any suggestions on what and where to buy? Thanks

-Liam

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Seacoast sport cycle is under 100 miles from you. They also will pick up your bike and drop I back off for a very reasonable fee I think $20. They are the best shop around anyway.

As far as tools get a nice set of metric Allen sockets. Flat cut stay away from the ball ends they will just strip everything. That and a metric socket set and you can do most of the maintence. Get the larger sockets for the nuts on the axels and a mighty vac for bleeding hydraulic lines and you wi be good to be.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Just got my first bike, a 2003 Monster 620 with 22K miles on it...

Quickly found I need to do the maintenance myself as there is nowhere within 100miles of me (Lebanon, NH) that works on these things.

So far I have replaced the clutch O rings for an oil leak (diagnosis thanks to this site!), done an oil change, changed out brake/clutch levers, fixed stuck brake light, changed out faulty LED turn signals... bla bla bla.

I have been working with some crap allen keys that were for a mtn bike (bending now) and some other tools laying around. Thinking I should get some better quality stuff and looking for suggestions on a basic, no frills kit, that will allow me to do most routine maintenance safely.

Does this exist? Any suggestions on what and where to buy? Thanks

-Liam
My best suggestion, and possibly the most used tools in my tool box, are a set of socket hex heads. (As Dukati already said)

I bought the Evolv hex socket set from Sears (made by Craftsman) For the price ($10), I expected them to fit poorly and be cheap. But to my surprise, after 2 years of owning them (using them nearly everyday) they have never stripped a hex head, and are still performing like new. For an at home wrencher like you I highly recommend them.

Craftsman Evolv 7-pc. Hex Bit Socket Set Metric - Tool Catalog - Mechanic's Tools - Sockets

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
2 Starbucks napkins and an app that makes your phone ring on command... for those embarrassing latte spills.

·
Registered
740 Posts
The first tool I ever got was a 200 pieces craftsman not that I still have it.....but it was a good start metric only......with that and a torque wrench..except for some special Ducati type tools you should be all set.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Craftsman make a decent reasonable priced set. For probably $200 buck you. An get all you need to start.
I'd suggest a set of metric wrenches, metric sockets both 1/4 and 3/8 ( craftsman makes a nice 100 price socket set under $100) and a good set of hex/Allen wrenches and a torque wrench.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My only advice echoes what has already been said. I started with a set of Craftsman tools that I still have.

It is however, supplemented with tools from various manufacturers, from Snap-On to Harbor Freight.

As others have already mentioned, a quality set of hex tools is an excellent investment. I got mine in the UK about 25 years ago and it is still THE set I use most.

As the brand I got isn't available here in the US, try going here: https://www.wihatools.com/

When it comes to precision fit tools, I use these guys the most. Also, at home I use their screwdrivers exclusively.

As a profession, I repair heavy mobile equipment and the shop I work for supplies me with a complete Snap-On tool kit.

I much prefer the Wiha tools that I own over the majority of the Snap-On stuff.

The first time you strip out a phillips head screw you'll find yourself wishing for a better screwdriver. Wiha will get you that......sean

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a mixture of Armstrong, Allen and Gearwrench. I have some Matco stubby ratchet wrenches too...

Armstrong and Allen are being phased out now and Gearwrench is going to be the premium line from ATG. While GW is produced overseas, I must admit their 120XP line is quite impressive

·
Registered
93 Posts
As mentioned above... torque wrench... a selection of torque wrenches in fact. A single torque wrench cannot/will not satisfy all the maintenance requirements that will have to be performed. While you may not torque your fairing fasteners to the specs provided by Ducati there are a multitude of fasteners that must be torqued precisely as instructed. Torque wrenches are precision instruments and in safety critical applications they are routinely calibrated/tested to ensure accuracy. Afford them special care.

·
Registered
886 Posts
they are not the easiest to find but if you put in the effort Beta tools T handle hex (allen wrench) are probably the best you'll ever get.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts