Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Took the Desmo out for a good run the other day after fitting a nice Lithium battery and the damn thing died on me..

I checked the error code and it was Batt 5.2 and all the owners manual lists is "battery voltage error"

There's nothing wrong with the battery as it was fully charged before installing and I hooked it up again to the optimate after it died... Charged up fine within a few hours and started the bike no problem.

However, I did go out for another run close to home and I noticed that the voltage was never greater than 13.2v.. and was showing 12.9v when I got home. I had a check on my 1198 and when riding, voltage was showing up at 14.0v, hence charging.

So, any thoughts before I start stripping it down and checking connections, fuses etc etc...?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess I've just joined the club...

Glad it didn't go on fire then....! It's heading to the shop at the end of the month for a service, so they can inspect, replace and relocate I think.

Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Karelin, did you have yours replaced for a new one and then relocated, or just relocate the existing one?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Visit THIS THREAD and read posts nine through twelve.

Lately the voltage has gone down a bit, but I noticed that the OEM connector that connect the three yellow alternator output wires is starting to turn brown. I hate that they use that connector as the spades are underrated for the current they must carry. Once it starts to burn (oxidize), resistance rises, heating occurs, and more oxidation in a vicious cycle. To get rid of the probem in my Gran Canyon, I removed that connector and soldered the wires together, covered in heat shrink.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info and link.

Are you happy with the operation of the VR? Also, is it plug and play with the Desmo wiring, or does it require a bit of chop, splice, solder and shrink?

Cheers

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks for the info and link.

Are you happy with the operation of the VR? Also, is it plug and play with the Desmo wiring, or does it require a bit of chop, splice, solder and shrink?
Not plug and play. If you get this one, or one like it, it comes with the MOSFET VR connectors. What I did was cut the wires close to my dead OEM VR and then attach the new connectors to the stubs to make an adapter cable so that the OEM bike wiring harness is not hacked. I received an OEM VR under warranty and it is still bolted to the bottom of the airbox. If necessary, I COULD unplug the MOSFET and plug back in the stock one by removing the adapter cable. T

I have one of those six-LED voltage sticks to monitor battery and charge voltage. I noticed that my warrenty replacement VR charging voltage had dropped after six months. That is the reason I went with the MOSFET VR.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not plug and play. If you get this one, or one like it, it comes with the MOSFET VR connectors. What I did was cut the wires close to my dead OEM VR and then attach the new connectors to the stubs to make an adapter cable so that the OEM bike wiring harness is not hacked. I received an OEM VR under warranty and it is still bolted to the bottom of the airbox. If necessary, I COULD unplug the MOSFET and plug back in the stock one by removing the adapter cable. T

I have one of those six-LED voltage sticks to monitor battery and charge voltage. I noticed that my warrenty replacement VR charging voltage had dropped after six months. That is the reason I went with the MOSFET VR.

Ok, thanks.

I'll see what Ducati say about it. I don't really want to chopping up the wiring of the bike. If it can be relocated and replaced, then all is good.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts