Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Trash it.
If you live in the US, try AntiGravity batteries. Putting American's to work. ;)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I tend to hold on to stuff .. my $0.02

Never know when it'll come in handy -

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
^ and drives a bmw.... just sayin...

Reactions: juan1

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
And haunts threads when he's been specifically asked not to. But then he was given a life ban too, and we still have to put up with his bullshit.

Back at the battery - you don't say which model you have, but this little battery isn't suitable for a Ducati twin.

At 7 amp-hours it is only for starting a small engine.

Most Ducati twins need at least 12 Ah, but prefer something greater than 16 Ah. I run an 18 Ah (Shorai) on my 1098, and a 14 Ah one on my 750 2-valve.

And yes - the LiFePO batteries can save a lot of weight, if that matters to you.

It does to me..

:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And haunts threads when he's been specifically asked not to. But then he was given a life ban too, and we still have to put up with his bullshit.

Back at the battery - you don't say which model you have, but this little battery isn't suitable for a Ducati twin.

Most Ducati twins need at least 12 Ah, but prefer something greater than 16 Ah. I run an 18 Ah (Shorai) on my 1098, and a 14 Ah one on my 750 2-valve.

And yes - the LiFePO batteries can save a lot of weight, if that matters to you.

It does to me..

Thanks for the input. This is for my 1098. I am definitely going with a proper battery this time. This is the battery that was on the bike & it did give me a heck of a time to start.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Just be aware that you can accelerate wear and tear on the starter motor and sprag clutch by running an under-powered battery.

Your bike should love its new battery!

·
Registered
133 Posts

It does to me..

I went with a Yuasa 12A on my 999S. Works like a charm, but I also plan to upgrade the starter cables as well,

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
You CAN get away with a 12 Ah for a time - many of the 1X98s came out with a 12 from standard.

While everything is good - and the heavier cables may help here - you should be OK. But on a cold morning, or after the bike has sat for a period, you won't have that margin of reserve to get you going.

Many had to upgrade the 12 Ah for something stronger, particularly on the bigger models. The 848 can manage on a 12 Ah for longer of course.

For the weight-conscious it is better to convert to a LiFePO-type battery rather than go to a smaller, lower amp-hour model. The demands on the battery for starting these, and for the fuel injection etc. at low revs, you need a fairly high-rated battery.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I also use a CTEK battery tender wherever my bike is parked overnight or in storage when I'm in the Middle East. So far so good for many years,

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
I like the 18ah batteries in the v-twins. The size is the same as the 14 so rye not!! Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 FTW!!

BTW...the battery being bloated is bad. Toss it like a used condom!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts