Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask folks for their feedback on after market batteries Lithium in particular.

My stock is starting to show her age on cold start going on her 5 year!

So I'm going to get one before it's an issue. I'm leaning heavy to stay with the factory spec YUASA YT12B. It done very well and I didn't really need to start using the trickal charger until this year.

Does anyone have any longer term (2 years min) feedback on the Lithium replacements? I'd really like to save the weight and I don't mind having to buy a new compatible charger. My only worry is investing in it all and not get the same performance as the YUASA. I'm also a little worried about a fire as I've seen this issue with Lithium batteries.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,813 Posts
I wanted to ask folks for their feedback on after market batteries Lithium in particular.

My stock is starting to show her age on cold start going on her 5 year!

So I'm going to get one before it's an issue. I'm leaning heavy to stay with the factory spec YUASA YT12B. It done very well and I didn't really need to start using the trickal charger until this year.

Does anyone have any longer term (2 years min) feedback on the Lithium replacements? I'd really like to save the weight and I don't mind having to buy a new compatible charger. My only worry is investing in it all and not get the same performance as the YUASA. I'm also a little worried about a fire as I've seen this issue with Lithium batteries.

Thanks!
I bought a custom 6 row lythium battery from a guy that hand makes them in Texas. I could scrounge up his email address. Several people bought from him here after I posted it. I've had the battery since 2008 and it's still exactly the same. Takes a 20 minute charge on max charge and then start the bike run the bike for a hr and it's good for the entire season. It came with a quick release cables so after a ride I reach into the side unplug it. You can also get a 12 row as well and he also makes 24's for cars. the price is cheap I got mine for 150.00 US.

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the shorai lithium iron and the maintainer/charger. Its been very faithful. I was skeptical about it because it feels like an empty battery shaped plastic box, but it has more balls than anything ive had

Yeah leaning towards them lots of good reviews. How long have you had it?

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I have had my 18 Ah Shorai for well over four years on the Ducati, and it performs perfectly.

Just had a quick ride out to Strathalbyn to make sure.. :)

I also put a 14 Ah Shorai on my other bike, and it too has behaved perfectly, but has only been on it for about three years.

I got the dedicated charger for them when I bought the second one, but scarcely use it.

I would highly recommend them. I bought both mine (and the charger) from site sponsor Motowheels, who have always been good to deal with. They occasionally have special offers.

You will love the weight comparison, if you haven't held that difference in your hands. And the starting feels that bit stronger then the stocker.

You know you want to remove all that ugly fat from your lightweight Ducati..

:D

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I had the same one as Pat. It performed better than the stock. Bike didn't struggle to start up as much, plus the 6 lb weight savings is nice. I only had mine for a year, but considering the bike was only used for 7-8 days during that year and never had it on a charger, it was still going strong even at the end of the year before I sold everything. Started just as well as it did when it was new.

Reactions: Tchase

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Well done. That's about equal to what I paid for those items on special a few years ago.

Hopefully the battery will serve you well, and not self-immolate as someone might have predicted..

Now it's time for alloy sprocket, spacers, Ti everything..

:naughty:

I'm betting it will make you smile when you first crank it with the new battery. They're a powerful little bugger.

Especially on the 848.

Maybe give it a night on the charger before you fit it.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
20,813 Posts
Well done. That's about equal to what I paid for those items on special a few years ago.

Hopefully the battery will serve you well, and not self-immolate as someone might have predicted..

Now it's time for alloy sprocket, spacers, Ti everything..

:naughty:

I'm betting it will make you smile when you first crank it with the new battery. They're a powerful little bugger.

Especially on the 848.

Maybe give it a night on the charger before you fit it.

Enjoy!
You won't regret going lithium, I shaved a good 6 lbs off my bike and haven't had to buy a new one since 08. I think they are a great bargain.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thanks guys I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

I couldn't find a better deal than this combo, even with just the battery our forum vendors were not coming close.

Shorai Lithium Battery LFX18A1 BS12 Charger Combo Package | eBay
$235 with discounts at motowheels. I'll probably be going that route.

anyone playing with R/C?

i use this for more than a year now on my 1098, cells still very well balanced:

no need to pay 3 times more for a shorai if you're average on DIY stuff.
I thought about that as I have a ton of parts and batteries from my RC days. Glad somebody proved that is another route to go.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I've been using my lightweight Shorai LFX18 for almost 2 years and have never had it on a tender. Still cranks up like it was new. I haven't been riding much at all over the past few months either due to weather and starting a new job that doesn't let me commute on a bike very often. If I ever experience hard starting I may invest in a trickle charger.

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$235 with discounts at motowheels. I'll probably be going that route.
Please let me know because I could not determine it was the same kits/combo.

MotoWheels had the charger and the battery, not the weather proof pigtale or clip. Compare pics..

I've never confirmed my "password" gives me a discount. And I'm not a VIP

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
Please let me know because I could not determine it was the same kits/combo.

MotoWheels had the charger and the battery, not the weather proof pigtale or clip. Compare pics..

I've never confirmed my "password" gives me a discount. And I'm not a VIP
I believe you are correct about the weather proof clip (maybe worth asking on my end although as I recall you and I are fair weather riders haha).

And I did pay the $15 VIP so that's probably why I see the $235.

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe you are correct about the weather proof clip (maybe worth asking on my end although as I recall you and I are fair weather riders haha).

And I did pay the $15 VIP so that's probably why I see the $235.

Not sure what the "clip" thing is either.. retractable hook.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Perhaps this is not a good time to tell you mine (same one as what you got) was $120 brand new when I got it, from my local dealer. Just the battery, no charger, but still :eek:

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Perhaps this is not a good time to tell you mine (same one as what you got) was $120 brand new when I got it, from my local dealer. Just the battery, no charger, but still :eek:
Considering everything is cheaper where your are.. did you pay sales tax?

And if I just wanted the battery I could still beat you..

$116.96

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have 2 Shorais and the charger and really like them. You do need to read up on them and completely understand how they are different from other batteries.
When it is cool (under appx.10c) the battery needs to 'warm up'. Turn the ignition on with high beams and, when the lights go out after 60 seconds, cycle the key again. and 2 more times...
They do not tolerate being discharged more than 50% - only the special charger can bring them back. Other chargers can destroy the battery.
The special charging harness has a life length - they are cheap so no biggie.
Read the FAQ and manuals on their website

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.