Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, quick question about what I should do w/ my 848

Moved from Cali to Colorado so my bike is a bit down on power. Currently I have a full LeoVince and a DP race ecu. Works well for the track at sea level but a little low on power up here at this altitude.

Looking hard at bazzaz and the ZFi/AFM/QS combo because it allows me to tailor my bike as I move around (military) so it would be nice to invest into one time and not have to spend money again. ~$700

-or-

Get custom tuned by Boulder Motorsports for high elevation. They told me I wouldn't have to re-tune if I returned to sea level, but I was under the impression I would have to. No added equipment since they'll tune my race ECU. ~$500

What do you guys suggest I do? I heard Boulder is one of the best at getting your bike setup correctly, but do not know enough about how the tune would work in all conditions (hi/sea level altitude).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
You don't have 02 sensors in a full system to give the computer data points to adjust the fuel map. I'm guessing a full system gets a set and forget fuel mapping. That's probably why most track guys with full systems run adjustable controllers like bazzaz so they can make adjustments at the track. I'm sure when they tune your current ecu they can save the original map so they just have to load it if you move back. They shouldn't charge you another $500 for that if its a decent shop.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You'd only need a Bazzaz type if you plan on upgrading your bike. Engine or exhaust mods will need new tunes. But if you're happy with your setup just get it tuned once. Moves are irrelevant.

Boulder Motorsports is the best. Had my 1098 Microtec tuned there recently and I'll be headed back now that I have a full system.

You shouldn't need to get a "high altitude" and sea level tune. The tune meters fuel based on the air pressure/temp that enters the system. So low altitude-more air-more fuel, hi altitude-less air-less fuel. The beauty of fuel injection makes it automatic. But yes, you're gonna lose power up here, no getting around it.

Are you Army? Also just moved to CO myself (AF)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The Bazzaz systems are what's known as "piggyback" fueling controller. They basically take the incorrect signals coming from the ECU and correct them. However, due to emissions regulation, they don't work below 3k RPM. So all of a sudden, you've just spent all this money on a system that doesn't really fix the whole picture because stalling is a huge problem with these bikes and fueling changes help to resolve that. But if the piggyback systems don't allow fueling modifications at idle, then what's the point?

The best and (in my opinion ONLY) solution is to buy an aftermarket ECU. You can buy one used, doesn't need to be new or something. Microtech and Nemesis are the two brands you see and they're both heavily programmable by the user. The Ducati performance "race" ECU is identical to the stock ECU, the only difference is the mapping. The aftermarket ECU's have faster processors, MUCH faster A/D converters (taking analog signals like TPS and turning them into digital signals) and can auto tune themselves for not much more money. The nice thing is Boulder Motorsports can put a map on the Nemesis or Microtech ECU that YOU can adjust for altitude right in the software. Plus, if you want to make changes to the map yourself, you have all the tools necessary.

So yea, I'd bypass the piggyback systems and spend a tiny bit more money to get it done right.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you Army? Also just moved to CO myself (AF)
Nope, AF also.... I mean its in my name, haha. I plan doing a trackday on the 27th at HPR... Have any planned days in the near future?

The Bazzaz systems are what's known as "piggyback" fueling controller. They basically take the incorrect signals coming from the ECU and correct them. However, due to emissions regulation, they don't work below 3k RPM. So all of a sudden, you've just spent all this money on a system that doesn't really fix the whole picture because stalling is a huge problem with these bikes and fueling changes help to resolve that. But if the piggyback systems don't allow fueling modifications at idle, then what's the point?

The best and (in my opinion ONLY) solution is to buy an aftermarket ECU. You can buy one used, doesn't need to be new or something. Microtech and Nemesis are the two brands you see and they're both heavily programmable by the user. The Ducati performance "race" ECU is identical to the stock ECU, the only difference is the mapping. The aftermarket ECU's have faster processors, MUCH faster A/D converters (taking analog signals like TPS and turning them into digital signals) and can auto tune themselves for not much more money. The nice thing is Boulder Motorsports can put a map on the Nemesis or Microtech ECU that YOU can adjust for altitude right in the software. Plus, if you want to make changes to the map yourself, you have all the tools necessary.

So yea, I'd bypass the piggyback systems and spend a tiny bit more money to get it done right.
Welp, ended up getting a full bazzaz setup about a week ago and am currently installing it (ZFI/AFM/QS/TC). Got it for a ridiculously low price so I coudln't pass it up. Plus I have a few friends w/ first hand experience w/ bazzaz and they are all very happy with their setups.

I was close to getting rapid bike but the cost is pretty close to nemesis/microtech once I purchased everything I need. Guess timing is everything cuz a used nemesis is affordable but new is a bit steep for me.

I'll see how it goes. The QS and TC are added bonuses that I look forward to messing around with. The 3k flat spot stuff I never had a problem w/ (on either my 848 of 1098 SF-S) so I guess that wasn't a driving factor for me.

I do appreciate the input fellas, bazzaz customer support is really good from my initial interactions w/ them. They've even called me back to follow-up with the install and provided some great pointers to get me started. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea if you track the bike only, the stalling issue may not be as problematic. Heck, my race bikes (with aftermarket ECU's) always stalled on me, which is why I had to run them at high idle to keep that from happening. However, that's due to aggressive cam timing and unusually rich fuel maps to deal with the heat where I raced.

·
Registered
85 Posts
are you running the auto mapper for this or are you taking it to the shop? doing it yourself? I ask because I recently got a bazzaz as well and need help with the mapping. not neccessarily trying to buy the extra $200 auto mapper so if you have people helping you I might ask for some pointers. Im running stock everywhere in engine and exhaust currently.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Nope, AF also.... I mean its in my name, haha. I plan doing a trackday on the 27th at HPR... Have any planned days in the near future?.

Yeah, dead giveaway.

I wish; can't get Monday off. HPR is my favorite around here, but Pueblo seems to offer more track days, and more often on weekends. Next track I do get to I'll let you know and maybe we can meet up there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
are you running the auto mapper for this or are you taking it to the shop? doing it yourself? I ask because I recently got a bazzaz as well and need help with the mapping. not neccessarily trying to buy the extra $200 auto mapper so if you have people helping you I might ask for some pointers. Im running stock everywhere in engine and exhaust currently.
I am attempting to map it myself and see how it goes. I currently have MWR air filters and full Leo Vince exhaust w/ a DP ECU.

Yeah, dead giveaway.

I wish; can't get Monday off. HPR is my favorite around here, but Pueblo seems to offer more track days, and more often on weekends. Next track I do get to I'll let you know and maybe we can meet up there.
I might be doing the Pueblo May 1st track day also... let me know if you think you can make that one. Def gotta meet up. Don't have any track buds out here yet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts