Votes: 3 33.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When adjusting the belt tension which method do you use?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tune it to a C flat or a B minor....then plug it into your TV for some old guitar hero secret level.

If your still having problems I can send you the info I have for the guy that tunes my air guitars. Does good work....

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tune it to a C flat or a B minor....then plug it into your TV for some old guitar hero secret level.

If your still having problems I can send you the info I have for the guy that tunes my air guitars. Does good work....
as the wifey says... GRRRRRR :D

Reactions: Zyklon

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
110hz is an A note.

Download a free tuning program for your mobile device, stick it up between the belts and pluck them. If the room is dead quiet, it will come up with a reading.

Another option is to have good tonal inclination and memorize what the belt is suppose to sound like when plucked (thats what I do) :>)

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Tye I'm looking for data, I know all the methods. I should of added another option Dealer.

I've got the software etc and have tested it works well. I Also did the 45 twist all on the belts the engine came with. Oddly enough the vertical was coming in at 85-90.
But this poll was more about method than execution I've got that figured out.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I didn't see a poll option for "using a harmonic tuner" which by the way is the only option listed above that works flawlessly AND is free.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Oddly enough the vertical was coming in at 85-90.
Thats because the 45 degree method is for the desmoduo motors with the narrow belt. They come in at around 85hz, you can do them by hand.

The Desmoquattro tool, measures the pressure between the two cam shafts.

The testastretta tool, uses a laser to measure frequency off the belt.

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't see a poll option for "using a harmonic tuner" which by the way is the only option listed above that works flawlessly AND is free.
Wouldn't that be option 3?

More or less this...

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats because the 45 degree method is for the desmoduo motors with the narrow belt. They come in at around 85hz, you can do them by hand.

The Desmoquattro tool, measures the pressure between the two cam shafts.

The testastretta tool, uses a laser to measure frequency off the belt.
The OEM belts Tye the ones that came with the engine. I'm sure a meters was used not the twist method....

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
the 10mm wrench method, or the allen wrench method

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The OEM belts Tye the ones that came with the engine. I'm sure a meters was used not the twist method....
There are two different styles of belts on Ducati's.

The wide belt, which is seen on all the testastretta's and 748R and the narrow belt which is seen on all the desmoduo's and the desmoquattros outside of the 748R.

So my point is, the belt twisting method was developed for the NARROW belt on the desmoduo's and it does work. If you do it a few times, you get the hang of it and can dial in 85hz no problem at all. You can't pluck an 85hz belt easily, which is why they don't use the plucking method on those bikes and no, there is no tool for the desmoduo's.

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are two different styles of belts on Ducati's.

The wide belt, which is seen on all the testastretta's and 748R and the narrow belt which is seen on all the desmoduo's and the desmoquattros outside of the 748R.

So my point is, the belt twisting method was developed for the NARROW belt on the desmoduo's and it does work. If you do it a few times, you get the hang of it and can dial in 85hz no problem at all. You can't pluck an 85hz belt easily, which is why they don't use the plucking method on those bikes and no, there is no tool for the desmoduo's.
I understand I was pointing out that the vertical belt that came on my new engine (OEM BELT) was only coming in at 85-90hz,transaltion lose?

And yes I did the 45 degree check on the vertical and the horizontal but I agree I do not think that method works although Desmo's manual says you can do it (but not recommended)

The purpose of this poll was just to get an idea of what method is used the most for the DIY.

Although I like the wrench methods Rub mentioned, it seems to be a good double check to me using the mic and software to measure the hz.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
New vs. Used Belt Tension

II was pointing out that the vertical belt that came on my new engine (OEM BELT) was only coming in at 85-90 Hz,transaltion loose?
A Ducati bulletin for 4V engines specifies that recommended tension for installing fresh-out-of-the-box new belts and the acceptable range of deviation (105–115 Hz). It also states that if you are going to reinstall a set of used belts they should be adjusted to 85–105 Hz. It further implies that used installed belts can be left alone if they measure above 70 Hz.

What Ducati is saying is to first set the tension of a new belt to spec, expect them to lose a slight amount of tension after some initial run time, and then verify at any later time that this tension is above the minimum requirement. In other words, you should NOT re-adjust the tension to the new belt spec (115 Hz max) after run-in.

Attachments

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Shazzam that makes me feel bette about the vertical, funny that the horizontal was above 100hz..

·
Registered
351 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.