Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to do brake/clutch fluid flushes on my bike. I usually use Motul 660 brake fluid which is pretty pricey, $24 for a 500ml. Then I saw that my dealer has Castrol SRF brake fluid for $84 a 1l bottle. You can get the Castrol SRF from Amazon for $64 a bottle, so the price is almost the same as the Motul.

Has anyone used the SRF fluid or the Motul. Which do you like better?

I see that Brembo also has a new high temperature racing fluid, but they say not to use it on magnesium components as it reacts with the magnesium and out-gasses. I don't think that the clutch slave is mag, but I don't want to take any chances.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Motul is fine if you plan to change it every ride. Look at the difference in wet vs dry boiling point. That wide gap is due to it being very hygroscopic. The Castrol stuff is a lot less thirsty. If you want to spend mad cash on brake fluid, Castrol SRF is the way to go. Motul RBF is (or at least was) also not suitable for magnesium.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Very interesting. I never knew that. Castrol SRF is it. I figure that we spend so much money on little carbon fiber doodads and accessories, what is $64 to ensure that you have good braking? It is kind of important.
Thanks for the great information!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If you want the full benefit of the better fluid, flush the system a couple of times when you first change over. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have used a couple of different brake fluids in my bikes both street and track. I am currently using the motul 600 in my 899 race bike and have had success with the product. FWIW I have not had to change my fluid "every ride" as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Awesome thread..

Special thanks to Shazaam! for the attached link.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts