Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked in the Ducati Manual and it recommends "SHELL Advance Ultra 4" 15w-50 engine oil. I would love to get some.. but its crazy expensive and I cant find it anywhere. Alternatives? I was running Mobil 1 full synthetic before the Duc...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Go to Wally world and keep buying the Mobil1 @ $10.99.
If you are cheap get the Castrol @ $5.99 a qt.

Reactions: Tchase

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I looked in the Ducati Manual and it recommends "SHELL Advance Ultra 4" 15w-50 engine oil. I would love to get some.. but its crazy expensive and I cant find it anywhere. Alternatives? I was running Mobil 1 full synthetic before the Duc...
Car oil like Mobile 1, doesn't have the anti foaming and clutch additives necessary to work in a motorcycle with shared crankcase.

I know a lot of guys who run Shell Rotella T6 10W40 in their race bikes and swear by the stuff. It has all the right additives and evidently works great over the life of the vehicle.

I've always used Motul 300V 10W40 in my Ducati's and the crank bearings/journal wear has been very good. Even the gearbox wear has been unnoticeable on my race bikes. Its expensive yes, but in my view, its better to pay for it now instead of paying for it in 10k miles when the bottom end fails. :(

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Motul 5100 15W50 is the best high performance motocycle oil, as recently quoted in the motoring section of the Mogadishu Times

·
Court Jester
11,816 Posts
The best oil is the most expensive right?

Change it often and use the correct spec, that's all you got to do. What kind is up to you...

Reactions: cbr6

·
Court Jester
11,816 Posts
Car oil like Mobile 1, doesn't have the anti foaming and clutch additives necessary to work in a motorcycle with shared crankcase.
That statement has already been proven wrong and I'm not going to go find the thread, why do you push this?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I use Mobil 1 car oil in my 916.

OK, I realize that the choice of motor oil invites all kinds of heated discussions, but here goes anyway ...

Ever since Mobil 1 synthetic oil was introduced, I've used it in all my vehicles, and changed it at 3,000 mile intervals or less. For a while now, I've been reading cautionary comments on the web about using automobile-specific Mobil 1 in motorcycles instead of motorcycle-specific motor oils. I can certainly afford the more expensive product but I was skeptical that it really was a better product. So I looked into it a little and this is what I came up with ...

http://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/53418-oil-viscosity-1198s-dry-clutch-3.html

·
Court Jester
11,816 Posts
This is for a wet clutch motorcycle however… little bit of a different beast.
Bullshit if it were true they would specify that in the owners manual.

Reactions: Zyklon

·
Court Jester
11,816 Posts
Did you ever have a problem with your other bike? If the answer is no then why fix what isn't broke?

Look it's all about what makes you feel good, Motul makes most of us feel better so most of us go with Motul. I'm going to switch back to mobile 1 after my next oil change.

·
Court Jester
11,816 Posts
They do!!!! They say you need to use a MOTORCYCLE OIL!

Mobile 1 is a "CAR" oil, not for use with gearboxes, NOT for use with wet clutches.
Flat out LIE

Try reading this right out of the OWNERS manual, I realize you are not an OWNER but it's English!
ENGINE OIL not a word about MOTORCYCLE!

Do not lie to people TYE

Reactions: Zyklon and 219R

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Flat out LIE

Thats the oil Ducati has recommended for MORE then a decade and still does today.

What's that little picture on the front? Is that a motorcycle? Maybe, just maybe its a motorcycle oil then eh?

Here is the web site from Shell: Shell Advance Ultra - Shell Global

Read what it says at the bottom of the text area:

"SAE J 300 10W-40 and 15W-50. Both formulations meet: API SM and JASO MA2."

Wet clutch is JASO MA2:

oil spec.com said:
The motor oils that meet the JASO T 903:2006 standard can be classified into four grades: JASO MA, JASO MA1, JASO MA2 and JASO MB. The classification is based on the results of the JASO T 904:2006 clutch system firction test.
JASO MA and JASO MB classifications - oilspecifications.org

Here is the Mobile 1 spec:

15W-50 Synthetic Oil | Mobil 1™ 15W-50

"Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic oil meets or exceeds the requirements of: API SN, SM, SL, SJ ACEA A3/B3"

Do you see JASO MA2? I surely don't.

Ohh, here is the reason why you need to use a motorcycle oil right on Mobile 1's web site!!!!

Motorcycle Oil | Frequently Asked Questions

Mobile 1 said:
So how is Mobil 1™ synthetic motor oil for passenger cars different from Mobil 1 for motorcycles?

It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the two Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:

Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers. Motorcycle oils do not require friction modifiers for fuel economy and for better clutch friction less/no friction modifier is optimum. Motorcycle oils allow the use of higher levels of antiwear additives such as ZDDP (phosphorous).

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was always under the impression, correct me if I'm wrong: if your bike has a dry clutch you can run any oil you want, including car oil.

A motorcycle's transmission will not be hurt by any additive(s) from car oil, but the friction modifiers in car oil will ruin motorcycle's wet clutch. So unless the fiber plates are made some other material(s) these days you should run motorcycle specific oil. If you run car oil, the friction modifiers in car oil will soak into the fiber plates in your clutch pack, saturate them, and ruining the fiber plates ability to grip. This will cause big time clutch slippage and the heat from the slippage much sooner than later fry steel plates as well as fibers.

With that said, I use Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Motorcycle Oil 10w40 (from Walmark) on my Ducati 848 and 1199S which both have wet clutches.

IMHO

1 - 20 of 131 Posts