Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Court Jester
12,127 Posts
The best oil is the most expensive right?

Change it often and use the correct spec, that's all you got to do. What kind is up to you...

Reactions: cbr6

· Court Jester
12,127 Posts
Car oil like Mobile 1, doesn't have the anti foaming and clutch additives necessary to work in a motorcycle with shared crankcase.
That statement has already been proven wrong and I'm not going to go find the thread, why do you push this?

· Court Jester
12,127 Posts
I looked in the Ducati Manual and it recommends "SHELL Advance Ultra 4" 15w-50 engine oil. I would love to get some.. but its crazy expensive and I cant find it anywhere. Alternatives? I was running Mobil 1 full synthetic before the Duc...
Did you ever have a problem with your other bike? If the answer is no then why fix what isn't broke?

Look it's all about what makes you feel good, Motul makes most of us feel better so most of us go with Motul. I'm going to switch back to mobile 1 after my next oil change.

· Court Jester
12,127 Posts
They do!!!! They say you need to use a MOTORCYCLE OIL!

Mobile 1 is a "CAR" oil, not for use with gearboxes, NOT for use with wet clutches.
Flat out LIE

Try reading this right out of the OWNERS manual, I realize you are not an OWNER but it's English!
ENGINE OIL not a word about MOTORCYCLE!

Do not lie to people TYE

· Court Jester
12,127 Posts
Tye don't misdirected you absolute false statement in other words LIE. I showed you what the OWNERS manual said.

· Court Jester
12,127 Posts
You should also read out loud to yourself the manual clearly says meets or exceeds. Mobil 1 EXceeds the dated specs in the manual.

The labels include two important pieces of information to determine if an engine oil is appropriate for use in your vehicle. The first piece of information speaks to viscosity grade. The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) defines a numerical system for grading motor oils according to viscosity. The suffixes (0, 5, 10, 15 and 25) followed by the letter W designate the "winter" grade of an engine oil.

The second piece of important information on the label is the API service classifications. The API service classification is a two-letter code starting with either an "S" for gasoline engines or a "C" for diesel engines. The second letter in the API service classification is very important as it effectively speaks to the model years the engine oil was formulated to serve. As an example, the first API service classification was "SA" and these oils were designed to meet the requirements of cars built prior to 1930. The API SA service classification was followed by SB, SC, SD, SE, SF, SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM and to its current level of API SN.

· Court Jester
12,127 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J3o8XCoBsY

Pictures always help me ;) Of particular interest to me is the fact that they mention friction modifiers. Like duckymar stated about I too thought that friction modifiers were bad for wet clutches.
Its a great video on what oil is suppose to do, but shell and motul are not magical. The specs are the specs Mobil 1 exceeds what the manual says. Yes Ducati recommends Shell that's the nature of the business. But you will not ever see any Owners Manual state you MUST USE THIS SPECIFIC BRAND. What the hell would they do when they switch sponsers...

The title ask about the best, from what I can tell Motul is the clear winner when it comes to a vote, it's also what all the USA dealers recommend, they don't recommend the Shell because as of last year you couldn't even buy it here.

· Court Jester
12,127 Posts
There are somethings that I will be a label whore over and Shell would be one of them as i use Shell in F250 Super Duty and my Nissan Altima but if it isn't avail I am looking to the specs to find a suitable replacement.

With my CBR I used the Honda oil because there was a dealership nearby and it was available. Now with my first ducati I find myself having to find a suitable replacement to the manufactures recommended product. Right now tops on my list is Motul 300 but this decision is based of specs and reading peer reviews.

I am still looking for some empirical data/evidence to help with the decision making process but nothing would make me happier than to find a reliable local supplier of Shell's Advance Ultra.
I can be a brand whore as well and I wanted to use the Shell, when I asked the dealer they said Motul so that's what I went with, I will go back to mobil 1 after my next oil change. I think it's more important to change it often than brand when it comes to oil but it must meet /exceed the specs.

· Court Jester
12,127 Posts

· Court Jester
12,127 Posts
Again, no lies… Shazaam spent the time that I was going to take to show you what the manual actually looks like. He's accurate in his depiction of the data as well. Mobile has no reason to submit their "car oil" for testing, they can make more money selling their "motorcycle" oil, even if its the same stuff.

For me, I'd rather put oil in my bike with the proper rating on the back of the jug. Thats the ONLY THING I was trying to get across and instead, we've had this back and forward which has yet again, resulted in YOU being wrong.
So post after post you are agreeing Mobil 1 is fine?
My manual says what I posted no wrong in that. What does your manual say?

· Court Jester
12,127 Posts
Car oil like Mobile 1, doesn't have the anti foaming and clutch additives necessary to work in a motorcycle with shared crankcase. :(
That statement has already been proven wrong and I'm not going to go find the thread, why do you push this?
TYE I called you out on this post this is exactly what I'm talking about Shazam posts say it will not harm cluthes!

· Court Jester
12,127 Posts
Look I'm not here to take sides or point fingers, but isn't the quote above pretty similar to what Tye said?

In my manual and obviously the one Tchase posted it states "Important - Do not use additives in fuel or lubricants." It doesn't matter who adds the additives (think friction modifiers - added by the manufacturers) Ducati is saying not to use them.

When speaking about being "confronted with an expert" when a link to Mobil 1s "Difference Between Car and Motorcycle Oils" link. Tchase blew it off as "Marketing hype." While it is often difficult to agree in this forum, I am sure we would all consider Mobil 1 engineers as oil experts.

Can't we all just get along?
Yes, but it wouldn't matter what forum or participants oil is always a hot topic.

We have lots of proof (actual people using it with NO issues) using mobil 1 is fine, Shazam has his well documented. We have zero proof its caused a problem (but lots of marketing hype) in regards to my blowing it off, that's where I'm at.

I would also add the last time I looked at a motul bottle I couldn't find any specifications (other than 15-50 on it. I'm going to look again when I get home.

I can tell you also the "engineers" don't always get to SPIN the marketing I have working knowledge of this.

· Court Jester
12,127 Posts
Noahp, have you found any data on Motul for additives? I'm curious now.

Also does anyone know if fuel stabilizer (for storage) is considered an additive?

· Court Jester
12,127 Posts
I think it would be funny if Motul has the "no no " friction modifiers in it with all the Dealers from coast to coast recommending it.

And has anyone ever seen the shell oil labeled on the engine case available in the states?

· Court Jester
12,127 Posts
Yea well, I'd rather have an oil which has better friction properties, then listen to some random service clerk.

I've been running 10W40 in ALL of my 4 stroke motorcycles and never had a single problem. I can show you images of the bearing cases for my 848 at 15,000 miles, they looked pretty good.
1. sorry I talk to the mechanics not a clerk

2. I don't doubt that you have not had any problem with 10w40 I suspect it had more to do with your frequent oil changes more than anything else

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.