Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
374 Posts
I was always under the impression, correct me if I'm wrong: if your bike has a dry clutch you can run any oil you want, including car oil.

A motorcycle's transmission will not be hurt by any additive(s) from car oil, but the friction modifiers in car oil will ruin motorcycle's wet clutch. So unless the fiber plates are made some other material(s) these days you should run motorcycle specific oil. If you run car oil, the friction modifiers in car oil will soak into the fiber plates in your clutch pack, saturate them, and ruining the fiber plates ability to grip. This will cause big time clutch slippage and the heat from the slippage much sooner than later fry steel plates as well as fibers.

With that said, I use Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Motorcycle Oil 10w40 (from Walmark) on my Ducati 848 and 1199S which both have wet clutches.

IMHO

· Registered
374 Posts
I was always under the impression, correct me if I'm wrong: if your bike has a dry clutch you can run any oil you want, including car oil.

A motorcycle's transmission will not be hurt by any additive(s) from car oil, but the friction modifiers in car oil will ruin motorcycle's wet clutch. So unless the fiber plates are made some other material(s) these days you should run motorcycle specific oil. If you run car oil, the friction modifiers in car oil will soak into the fiber plates in your clutch pack, saturate them, and ruining the fiber plates ability to grip. This will cause big time clutch slippage and the heat from the slippage much sooner than later fry steel plates as well as fibers.

With that said, I use Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Motorcycle Oil 10w40 (from Walmark) on my Ducati 848 and 1199S which both have wet clutches. Motul 300V is good stuff too.

IMHO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.