Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,415 Posts
I use Mobil 1 car oil in my 916.

OK, I realize that the choice of motor oil invites all kinds of heated discussions, but here goes anyway ...

Ever since Mobil 1 synthetic oil was introduced, I've used it in all my vehicles, and changed it at 3,000 mile intervals or less. For a while now, I've been reading cautionary comments on the web about using automobile-specific Mobil 1 in motorcycles instead of motorcycle-specific motor oils. I can certainly afford the more expensive product but I was skeptical that it really was a better product. So I looked into it a little and this is what I came up with ...

http://www.ducati.org/forums/1098-1198/53418-oil-viscosity-1198s-dry-clutch-3.html

· Registered
1,415 Posts
The specs are the specs Mobil 1 exceeds what the manual says. Yes Ducati recommends Shell that's the nature of the business. But you will not ever see any Owners Manual state you MUST USE THIS SPECIFIC BRAND.
The Owners Manual for the newer wet clutch bikes don't list the API spec for the oil anymore. The manual only states that Shell Advance 4T should be used.

So indirectly they are saying to use an oil that has an equal or better API classification than the Shell Advance 4T, and (like the Shell product) meets the JASO spec for wet clutches.

Unfortunately, there no reason to test Mobil 1 automobile oil to the JASO spec for wet clutches — because automobiles don't use wet clutches. That's not to say that the higher viscosity Mobil 1 oil that doesn't use large amounts of friction modifiers wouldn't pass the JASO test if submitted.

I can tell you that, in my experience, 15W50 Mobil 1 does not produce wet clutch slippage.

Attachments

· Registered
1,415 Posts
Also be hard pressed tp find 95 octane here in Tampa. Highest i've seen is 92.
The minimum octane requirement for each engine model is specified in the Owners Manual and Shop Manual using the RON measurement system that is used in Europe and many other parts of the world. The US and Canada fuel pumps list octane in a different measurement system so you need to convert the numbers as follows:

91–92 RON = 86–87 US Regular
94–95 RON = 89–90 US Plus
95–99 RON = 90–94 US Premium

· Registered
1,415 Posts
I think it's fair to say that this forum dispute has resulted mainly because — unlike it's parent company Audi — Ducati hasn't published a list of approved motor oils. Presumably such a list would make a distinction between wet and dry clutch models.

To confuse things, the wet clutch 848 Owners Manual specifies the use of only one approved product by Shell, and the 848 Shop Manual simply specifies any motor oil that meets the now-obsolete ATI SG classification.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.