Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Banned
5,501 Posts
I looked in the Ducati Manual and it recommends "SHELL Advance Ultra 4" 15w-50 engine oil. I would love to get some.. but its crazy expensive and I cant find it anywhere. Alternatives? I was running Mobil 1 full synthetic before the Duc...
Car oil like Mobile 1, doesn't have the anti foaming and clutch additives necessary to work in a motorcycle with shared crankcase.

I know a lot of guys who run Shell Rotella T6 10W40 in their race bikes and swear by the stuff. It has all the right additives and evidently works great over the life of the vehicle.

I've always used Motul 300V 10W40 in my Ducati's and the crank bearings/journal wear has been very good. Even the gearbox wear has been unnoticeable on my race bikes. Its expensive yes, but in my view, its better to pay for it now instead of paying for it in 10k miles when the bottom end fails. :(

· Banned
5,501 Posts
Flat out LIE

Thats the oil Ducati has recommended for MORE then a decade and still does today.

What's that little picture on the front? Is that a motorcycle? Maybe, just maybe its a motorcycle oil then eh?

Here is the web site from Shell: Shell Advance Ultra - Shell Global

Read what it says at the bottom of the text area:

"SAE J 300 10W-40 and 15W-50. Both formulations meet: API SM and JASO MA2."

Wet clutch is JASO MA2:

oil spec.com said:
The motor oils that meet the JASO T 903:2006 standard can be classified into four grades: JASO MA, JASO MA1, JASO MA2 and JASO MB. The classification is based on the results of the JASO T 904:2006 clutch system firction test.
JASO MA and JASO MB classifications - oilspecifications.org

Here is the Mobile 1 spec:

15W-50 Synthetic Oil | Mobil 1™ 15W-50

"Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic oil meets or exceeds the requirements of: API SN, SM, SL, SJ ACEA A3/B3"

Do you see JASO MA2? I surely don't.

Ohh, here is the reason why you need to use a motorcycle oil right on Mobile 1's web site!!!!

Motorcycle Oil | Frequently Asked Questions

Mobile 1 said:
So how is Mobil 1™ synthetic motor oil for passenger cars different from Mobil 1 for motorcycles?

It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the two Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:

Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers. Motorcycle oils do not require friction modifiers for fuel economy and for better clutch friction less/no friction modifier is optimum. Motorcycle oils allow the use of higher levels of antiwear additives such as ZDDP (phosphorous).

· Banned
5,501 Posts
Tye don't misdirected you absolute false statement in other words LIE. I showed you what the OWNERS manual said.
Again, no lies… Shazaam spent the time that I was going to take to show you what the manual actually looks like. He's accurate in his depiction of the data as well. Mobile has no reason to submit their "car oil" for testing, they can make more money selling their "motorcycle" oil, even if its the same stuff.

For me, I'd rather put oil in my bike with the proper rating on the back of the jug. Thats the ONLY THING I was trying to get across and instead, we've had this back and forward which has yet again, resulted in YOU being wrong.

· Banned
5,501 Posts
So post after post you are agreeing Mobil 1 is fine?
My manual says what I posted no wrong in that. What does your manual say?
Mobile 1 car oil doesn't have the certification for wet clutches on the back. So no in a wet clutch bike I would use something else. That was my point 20 posts ago. It's unfortunate you feel like following the current trend and disbelieve everything I say, which shazaam pretty much confirmed.

· Banned
5,501 Posts
TYE I called you out on this post this is exactly what I'm talking about Shazam posts say it will not harm cluthes!
I could give two shits if he uses milk in his crankcases.

Shazaam is a professional Ducati expert with decades of experience, but I doubt he will be eager to replace your clutch plates when they prematurely fail. He could be 100% right, but its not worth the risk.

The right answer is all I care about. If you own a Ducati with a wet clutch, you need to use a motorcycle oil with the proper certification.

· Banned
5,501 Posts
All 3 dealers in my area said for "your wet clutch 848" 15-50 (shrugs)
Yea well, I'd rather have an oil which has better friction properties, then listen to some random service clerk.

I've been running 10W40 in ALL of my 4 stroke motorcycles and never had a single problem. I can show you images of the bearing cases for my 848 at 15,000 miles, they looked pretty good.

· Banned
5,501 Posts
1. sorry I talk to the mechanics not a clerk
OHH, the "mechanics" LOL :)

2. I don't doubt that you have not had any problem with 10w40 I suspect it had more to do with your frequent oil changes more than anything else
My first Ducati street bike was a used 748 with 7500 miles, dealer maintained with all paperwork. I ran 3000 mile service intervals and "dealer recommended" Motul 7100 15W50. Within a year of ownership, the bottom end went kaput. A friend of mine was riding at the time and he mis-shifted on the track pretty bad. For sure the motor was on its way out anyway with about 13k on the clock. There wasn't anything left, pistons, cylinders, bearings, everything was worn pretty bad.

848 was 3000 mile changes with 300V 10W40, bearings looked worn, but OK at 15k miles. There were other issues with the motor which is why I did a tear-down, but nothing related to oil.

749R and 748R don't count because they were track-only bikes. Both were rated at 12k RPM (higher then suggested) and were over-reved on many occasions. So its hard to use them as a comparison. Both had pretty worn bearing's, slight play in the rods, but no noise when running. Maybe had a few thousand left on the clock before complete failure.

· Banned
5,501 Posts
I disagreed, however, with his angry response to Shazaam's input. Unfortunately this individual feels threatened by expertise (other than his own!) and so many threads have suffered as a result.
I didn't say one negative thing about Shazaam's input besides the fact, this was a thread about an 848, not a dry clutch bike.

He is arguably the most experienced person on this forum and as you may have noticed, he doesn't argue. I respect his input because he's straight forward, no bullshit and explains everything outright.

If everyone was the same way, we wouldn't have any issues here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.