Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it looks like I finally have enough saved up to add a desmo to my collection are there are several options available on ebay us at the moment. My question is which one is the best option for a collector to consider?

I figured I would post here and get some opinions.

HERE ARE MY ASSUMPTIONS:
-Bike will be placed into a collection, ridden very rarely (maybe once or twice a year).
-Preference is team version without decals
-Preference is completely stock
-Buying more as a collectors item than a track day weapon (if I want to carve up the track, I will take my zane era laverda)

Options
1 - Team version, #403, mileage is 443. Cost is 52500 but willing to discuss offers
Ducati Superbike | eBay

2- Rossi/all red version, #420, mileage is 1203. Cost is 50000. This one is from a dealer
Ducati Superbike | eBay

3- Team version, just popped up, # 1151. Mileage is 5369 and cost is 43000.
Ducati Superbike | eBay

My thinking is option 3 is the best of the 3, given the later production number and the reference to maintenence.

I look forward to the opinions from the forum

:argue:

martin

·
Registered
465 Posts
Scrap #2 because it doesn't meet the criteria for your collection piece. I didn't follow the links, but skip any Team version with decals for the same reason. If you are going to COLLECT it, get the one that you WANT. Because sure as hell the ONE that you do want WILL eventually come along and you will kick yourself for not waiting.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Are you collecting because you want a return or you want the bike? If it's the former the forum I would assume could help otherwise collect what appeals to you..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just want the bike but I want to try to preserve the value if possible. I am not riding much now, doing more time wrenching/fettling but enjoy having a bit of a collection. I would expect to own the bike for at least 15+ years

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree with Apollo-- buy the bike which makes your heart and wallet happy. These are beautiful once in a lifetime bikes and the prices are getting to be within reach of more gear-heads. Unfortunately the price to repair or service, the reputation of part failure, and the dwindling number of certified D16 repair shops does put a damper on the "stretch- to- buy enthusiast parting with what is still a good amount of money.

Number #3 rings looks like it hits the mark of what you seem to be looking for in a D16----if you want a rider/collector. It has a few nice factory bits on it you cannot find anymore like the double bubble. It also has a high production number which should indicate that the motor has the latest parts as an outcome of the early teething problem fixes-- but even this is not guaranteed even though it has had its service recalls.

If you are concerned about retaining the $42K you may be able to buy it for- that is possible -but none of us have a crystal ball. I think the majority of D16's for sale in the future will hover around the same condition/miles- some better-some worse.

If you are hoping that in the future it will bring much more money then you paid for- then I feel it has too many miles on it for a future high dollar collector who seem to gravitate to bike having under 100 miles. These bikes are currently bringing good money while the bikes with miles are selling in the mid $40'sK with unsold bikes asking in the $50K range. The low mileage bikes do come up from time to time and because of the number built, will be available for that high dollar collector in the future. Judging from the few non mile bike I have seen sold - these low mileage bike are already finding their way into smart collectors fleet. Feels like many of the investment buyers have bailed out so true collectors or died in the wool gear-heads are the market.

The most repeated advice is- buy for the love of the machine- not for investment, and I think that holds true in this case. Enjoy it and be surprised if the value goes up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
H Martin,

Glad to see you are going to make the plunge into a Desmo.

I also prefer the high serial number bikes. #3 looks like a great buy. It looks to be well taken care of with a few tasteful mods that can be easily removed if you don't like them.

I would definitely buy the one you like the most and you will never regret it!

Never worry about what will please the next owner.

Paul

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I pulled the trigger and won the auction for #3, I was the only bidder. I think it was missed by some folks due to it being listed as Ducati Superbike instead of Ducati Desmosedici

Now I have to get in touch with the seller and figure out how to get it all to Texas. I will probably go see it in person next week, do all the paperwork and then arrange for keyboard carriage to transport the bike, they do a good job for me in the past.

Marty

·
Registered
258 Posts
Marty-- Nice bike- good price- you are going to have some fun.

I am not sure Keyboard will go door to door that far West anymore. I think they now only go to a few major cities. I have used them four times so far- they are great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.