Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had to put new tires on a few days ago and decided to get a rear hugger. Looked around and for the heck of it ordered a bestem non-100% carbon rear. $99.95. I was a bit concerned after after reading some reviews but when it arrived it was really nice! A perfect fit. The hardest part was finding the right size screw the M5 .08 did not fit however a 10-32 screw was perfect. Curious? Also that screw near the exhaust was a bitch to get in. Anyway I also placed screw caps on to finish the install off nice! I really think the bestem carbon for the price is the way to go. I mean if your looking for something functional to keep mud off the rear it fits the bill and saves you bills $$$.
Details:
Material: (all purchased at Lowes)
(3) Hillman button Hd cap screws 10-32 x 1/2 stainless screws.
(4) Hillman rubber washers 3/16 x 1/2 x 1/16
(3) Hillman #8 & #10 screw caps ( I see these also come in blue or white on line...no red )

1. On the rear most mounting hole, I layered a rubber washer under the carbon (to raise it slightly for proper clearance)
2. Then a washer on top (to prevent deformation of screw cap) then screw cap.
3. Then screw... I then mounted the fender with this rear mount first and left it loose.
4. Then did the other two sans the washer under the carbon.
5. Made sure everything was aligned and tightened them down.
I later pulled each screw and place a drop of blue lock tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Looks like a nice clean install. I've had a few pieces of Bestem over the years and they looked good but the finish started to peal on them so I eventually replaced them. Key lock cover, air duct covers, exhaust protector, front and rear fender. Granted this was a few years ago and their coatings may have changed to avoid the pealing.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
They do look pretty cool and would get them but I have all Proti Ti bolts in gold all over bike and surely dont want to cover them up! :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just sold my shift tech hugger to someone on this forum for 100$. It was on the bike for 4000 miles and it looked as good as the day it was put on when I sold it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup roger that I'll see what this looks like in a year or so. I would hope that if they clear coated it with a quality product it should last a while. About 20 years ago, yes am in my 50's, I had a guy in the mid west manufacturing CF at home. He worked for Northrop Grumman or Boeing I forget which, and brought it home from the plant. He started making custom parts. I had a few parts on my 1993 cbr900rr, Looking back it was hilarious it was as thicker than the stock plastic and had tons of air bubbles in the coating. But I guess he was on the cutting edge.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You'll probably be fine. Mine last around 40,000K before I started replacing it all. I recently replaced my last Bestem piece at 79,000K.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Only compared on-line. The Criteria I used started like this.
1. Where. (Wanted Italian only (trying to keep only Italian parts on Italian bike))
2. Looks. (Wanted it to look good to me Subjective referring to size and shape)
3. Quality (Started thinking that CF is CF and that the manufacturing process is pretty much the same)
4. Price. (Did not know for sure what 2. would look good so didn't want to spend $$$$ and not like looks)
Looked at Ducati, Carbonvani, Shift- Tech, and misc on ebay. Then it seemed the look was what I thought was good and the price was CHEAP figured for $100 if it sucked I'd use it as a decorator piece on the garage wall. I mean its like almost 1/2 the price of Italian. The heel guards are Carbonvani $115, Bestem $60. Now maybe I'll try Shiftech $70 next.

PS: I really don't want to go replacing everything with CF. I just wanted a functional ad-on. I like to try to keep it like it came from the factory for the most part.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I installed both Shift Tech and Bestem carbon parts on my 1098 at the same time. I'm using 303 Protectant on both and can't tell a difference in "wear" yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts