Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If an underbody exhaust is so much better like on the new 1199. How come no one has made an uderbody for the 1198 or the 1098?

Does anybody know of someone that has done this

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Yeah there are several....double dog is one, and The other was in another thread here somewhere.....gonna have to search and get back to you

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hope you ride with ear plugs. What type of subframe is that on the black 1098 that is on their homepage.
+1 on that. I had a chance to hear a 1098 with a DD with the db killer and it was LOUD. Couldn't see riding around with the db killers out.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
If an underbody exhaust is so much better like on the new 1199.
Dont agree...it's just a different arrangement, thats all.
The 1x98 was designed for undertail pipes.
To be fair, messing with this geometry will probably lead to the bike being too stable in the horizontal axis. As was it's design, the 1x98 loves to lean.
I'd not be messing with that.
1199 is just different, that's all. Put the weight down low on a 1x98, and you may end up with a bike thats great for cruising strait highway....who knows?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Dont agree...it's just a different arrangement, thats all.
The 1x98 was designed for undertail pipes.
To be fair, messing with this geometry will probably lead to the bike being too stable in the horizontal axis. As was it's design, the 1x98 loves to lean.
I'd not be messing with that.
1199 is just different, that's all. Put the weight down low on a 1x98, and you may end up with a bike thats great for cruising strait highway....who knows?

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. With the pipes up high, you have a huge amount of weight up there (even with CF cans and a full Ti system like my Akra). With the exhaust under the belly pan, you centralize the weight more, thus making the bike more nimble. The 1x98 was designed with undertail exhaust, but you wouldn't kill the geometry if you changed that.

That said, if you tried to pull off an underbody exhaust on the 1x98, you would have to do a metric fuck ton of modification, and you'd likely screw up the engine balance by having some hack job exhaust. The concern about swapping to that type of exhaust isn't bike geometry, but engine performance. You need appropriate back pressure and exhaust gas flow through the pipes to do anything but kill the power of your bike.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
The actual weight distribution and balance of the 916 right up to the 1198 was designed around an undertail exhaust and it's weight distribution characteristics so putting it down in the bellypan would indeed play with the way the bike handles and throws it's weight around.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts