Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Top of the afternoon. After riding my bike yesterday (2001 monster 750) my bike fell over, I caught it though but I noticed oil dripping from my engine head area. It seems to have came from the top part of the engine. But my question is what could that be/mean. Not too much oil came out but enough to be like "what the heck!?" I'd love to hear your thoughts on that. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Crankcase breather? Just follow the tube up and see if that's where it was coming from.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
The crankcase breather vents into the airbox, so what has come out after the tip-over may just be some oil that has accumulated in there.

Probably worth opening up your airbox and cleaning it out (and cleaning the element) while you check if that is where it came from. Obviously an excess of oil in there will eventually compromise your dry filter element.

With an engine like the Ducati, where the pistons rise and fall only a quarter of a revolution away from each other, there are great changes in crankcase pressure, rather like with a single-cylinder engine.

After sustained high-speed riding some oil will inevitably end up in the airbox. This will be worse if the engine is over-filled with oil. Do not be tempted to fill it above the top line.

I hope that is all that it is, in which case you have nothing to worry about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts