Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been riding on city streets and on the highway and noticed my front wheel feels a little unsure at times. Id I turn back to look to switch lanes and the front wheel feels wobbly and unsure. I was riding tonight and hit a minor bump and it felt like I almost lost control and was only going about 10 mph.. This is on a standard 848 so no i do not have a steering damper.. Could that be it? Tire pressure seems ok..

·
Registered
143 Posts
honestly man, it sounds like you need to have someone take a good look at that. I wouldnt even take that chance. Also you might have damaged your tire so check it for any bubbles. Tire pressure should be 42psi. Good luck

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I'll have the dealer pick it up and get that checked. Just a really weird feeling and nothing looks wrong from what I can see

honestly man, it sounds like you need to have someone take a good look at that. I wouldnt even take that chance. Also you might have damaged your tire so check it for any bubbles. Tire pressure should be 42psi. Good luck

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Yes - 32-33 psi would be a better starting point for the front tyre pressure.
If it has done a lot of miles over rough roads the steering head bearings may need adjusting up. They can give these symptoms, but don't ordinarily 'take up' that much on these models.
Nowhere near as much as the tapered-roller bearings on the early ones.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
The recommended pressures (in bars - no, not those kinds of bars..) in the 1098 manual translate to 33 psi front, and 35 psi rear.

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
oops, mistake on my part. 42psi rear 32 psi front
I believe you may be reading the MAX pressure off the tires which relates to max load which on most sport bike tires translates to about 850lbs for bike, rider and passenger. For a 425lb bike and an average 200lb rider, pressure should be 32-33 for both as has been mentioned.

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
i might be wrong but from what i see written on my pirellis it clearly says 42 psi MAX
That they do and right around the same area it will give you the MAX load which is what the MAX psi refers to. It's a very very common mistake when reading the outside of a tire.

If you were going to take the wife for a tour with saaaaaaay saddle bags and a back pack, I would add some to the 32psi regular pressure to compensate for the extra weight then reduce again when riding with just yourself. It's the same theory that you should add more pre-load when 2 up riding so the suspension maintains it's correct sag and abilities but honestly I don't know anyone that does that. Myself, I keep my tires at 32-33psi frt and rear when doing any sort of riding. My wife and I only go 2up for short rides since she got her own license but we used to do 600K days when she didn't.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts