Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this magazine today. I was Jonesin' to read this but euro-mags don't reach us as soon as I would like here in the good old USA. Nonetheless, the article is 32-pages I think, lots of pics, extra details and most of the stuff 'we' already know. What I was more interesting in was the riding impressions. This is always the MOST important part for me. IMO, too many mags simply go about the crafty was of stating the same technical points over and over again! So let me get to the point. Page 25, here are the last two paragraphs with some unimportant ommissions.

'Sitting in the corner of the pit garage and watching the test team going methodically and precisely about their business, I'm genuinely surprised at how much of an improvement the bike is. With the 1098, Ducati have acheived so many things: not only is it the sexiest bike we've seen in a long time, it's also faster but easier to use; more aggressive but at the same time friendlier; requires less maintenance and is cheaper to service; and stinks of quality and character that's a very welcome return for Ducati. It's [1098] so utterly desirable it hurts.

Go, fall in lust, fall in love, and dream. It's phenomenal.'

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have access to a scanner. I'll ask around.

·
Registered
178 Posts
UK Magazine articles

Sorry to be the bearer of this forum's competitors offerings but I have already scanned in copies of "Superbike", "Performance Bike", "TWO" and "Motociclismo" 1098 articles on www.1098-forum.com. The "Bike" article is already on that forum too. If you ask me nicely I can post them up here or PM all of them in a ZIP file to those that are interested.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Post 'em up already Rod!
this isn't a commercial entity, 1098.net is not in competetion with any magazine or any other forum, its simply a discussion forum. You won't be stepping on anyone's toes here...
Now tell us what you know damnit! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
As an owner already I would agree 100% with thier views on the bike.

I'm going to my delears tomorrow to have the Termi's fitted, I think i'll take my 4mm allen wrench to remove those baffles.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Riding Impressions

duc1098 said:
Just bought this magazine today. I was Jonesin' to read this but euro-mags don't reach us as soon as I would like here in the good old USA. Nonetheless, the article is 32-pages I think, lots of pics, extra details and most of the stuff 'we' already know. What I was more interesting in was the riding impressions. This is always the MOST important part for me. IMO, too many mags simply go about the crafty was of stating the same technical points over and over again!

Glad to hear someone finally say it - that the most important thing is what the bike is like to ride. I'd like to take this opportunity to invite 1098 owners who have owned other literbikes to offer their (as objective as possible) comparative riding impressions. This is my first superbike class motorcycle, and I don't have the opportunity to ride others in the class. And I DON'T want to hear any duck-uh-tee-stee crap about how great rattly undersized clutches sound or how great the Ducati Performance carbon fiber cas cap is. Or how cool they feel riding such a cool bike. I've owned two Ducatis, a Monster and an ST2, and frankly, they were ok but neither blew me away with their "legendary" Ducati handling. Needless to say, I'm hoping that won't be the case when my yellow 1098 arrives.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know this is a post for another mag but thought i'd post this anyway. This is from the June issue in Cycle World.

Speaking of forward thrust, the 1098s threw down performance numbers that quite frankly blew us away. Not only did it smoke every single 1000cc Four we tested in last year's Open-class shootout in acceleration to 60mph (2.58 seconds), it bested every last one of them through the quarter-mile, with an impressive 9.845-second, 145.64-mph run! The only area where the 1098s came up short (literally) was top speed; our bike ripped past the radar gun at 174mph on the rev limiter in sixth, clearly undergeared. The 1098 has two more teeth on the rear sprocket (38 vs. 36), while primary and internal ratios remain unchanged from the 999.

Just thought this was interesting info and wanted to share it with others who haven't read CW's June mag. Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Patrebert,

I've had a 99 R1 an 03 Gixxer 1000, and now an 07 1098 base.

I'm not sure I like the V-Twin.... I think that I'm just not used to it yet.
I like that the bike is narrow, but I find the seat too hard and the clutch is too stiff. I also find that the bike vibrates alot more compared to the Gixxer or R1.

Powerwise, I don't feel it is that much more powerful than my gixxer.

In my opinion it is the best looking bike. It feels pretty nimble but I haven't really pushed it in the curves yet.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for and your budget, but bang for your buck.... You can find better than the ducati 1098.

I picked the bike for it's aesthetics and also because it's more exclusive. I wanted to stand out from all the other Jap sport bikes. I have absolutely no regrets buying this bike.... I actually went to the dealer to buy the BMW K1200S but the salesguy wouldn't move on the price and the 1098 in the showroom was right next to his desk.... I couldn't resist.... I signed for the Ducati.

Just my opinion so far.... I've only had the bike for 2 days, and I've driven about 120 kms (70 miles)

I hope I didn't offend any of you guys

-Rich-

·
Registered
16 Posts
Zane,
I read the Cycle World article yesterday. They did fall all over the bike and had little bad to say. I was happy to see this, not that I needed them to tell me how much fun I was having with my bike.....until I saw they listed 160 miles as the average cruising range. Makes me wonder if they even rode the bike!

;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
ohrich said:
Hi Patrebert,

I've had a 99 R1 an 03 Gixxer 1000, and now an 07 1098 base.

I'm not sure I like the V-Twin.... I think that I'm just not used to it yet.
I like that the bike is narrow, but I find the seat too hard and the clutch is too stiff. I also find that the bike vibrates alot more compared to the Gixxer or R1.

Powerwise, I don't feel it is that much more powerful than my gixxer.

In my opinion it is the best looking bike. It feels pretty nimble but I haven't really pushed it in the curves yet.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for and your budget, but bang for your buck.... You can find better than the ducati 1098.

I picked the bike for it's aesthetics and also because it's more exclusive. I wanted to stand out from all the other Jap sport bikes. I have absolutely no regrets buying this bike.... I actually went to the dealer to buy the BMW K1200S but the salesguy wouldn't move on the price and the 1098 in the showroom was right next to his desk.... I couldn't resist.... I signed for the Ducati.

Just my opinion so far.... I've only had the bike for 2 days, and I've driven about 120 kms (70 miles)

I hope I didn't offend any of you guys

-Rich-
Rich,

Thanks for the reply. I did ride a Honda cbr900rr years ago when I owned my st2. I too was impressed the the smoothness at low revs compared to a twin; I prefered to keep the revs above 3000 on the st2 to avoid the thumping power pulses where the 4 cylinder was smooth as glass below that. Keep in mind that those are 550 cc cylinders going bang on the 1098 vs. 250 cc on your gsxr. The dyno, of course, tells the power story - I'd guess about the same as your '03, although I hope you haven't been sampling the duc's real power with so few miles on the clock! I wasn't that concerned about peak horsepower, judging the performance of any sport literbike 'adequate' for street use. Look forward to hearing an update from you when you get the engine broken in and a chance to get more familiar with the handling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts