Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2007 1098S with 4,400 miles. During hard acceleration, the bike acts as if it's running out of gear or slipping out of gear around 8-10k rpm. I noticed this when I first purchased the bike a few months ago, but only in first gear. I stepped up from a zx6r, and chalked this up to possibly hitting the redline much faster, but today this happened in second gear.

Has anyone had similar problems or know what might be causing this?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It could be the clutch, or possibly fuel related.. more info needed.

Does the bike have any mods? When was it last serviced?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has a termi slip on and the race ecu that came with it. Otherwise, all stock. I'm the second owner. I believe the first owner had the oil changed at 1k miles and the voltage regulator replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Generally an indication that your friction plates have worn to the point that the springs can no longer provide enough tension to prevent slippage.

Measuring the clutch plate 'stack' height should prove whether this is the case or not.

Might just need new friction plates.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would make sense. I just ordered a new pressure plate and springs. I suppose I could throw in some new plates while I've got it open. It currently has the stock closed cover. I'm wondering if this caused heat build up and excessive wear without allowing the dust to exit considering the bike only has 4,400 miles...

Forgive my ignorance here, but why would this only happen during hard vs moderate acceleration? If the plates are going bad, wouldn't it slip anyway?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
It's only under 'hard acceleration' ie when you are generating the most torque through the clutch that shows it up. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I need to go back and read clutch 101... I thought if it was in gear, it's in gear? I don't think I understand exactly how the clutch works. I'm sure you're right, I just need to read more.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I second what Aussie Bob said...most likely your clutch plates. Normally you wouldn't replace them that soon, but maybe the previous owner was terrible at shifting, and/or tried to do a lot of burnouts...at which he was also terrible at.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or maybe I did it in the last 900 miles? Do you guys pull and release the clutch lever gently during gear changes, our do you dump it during every shift?

Rather than buying a slipper clutch I don't really need, I crack the throttle during downshifts to minimize the rear wheel slipping... Can that cause damage?

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Or maybe I did it in the last 900 miles? Do you guys pull and release the clutch lever gently during gear changes, our do you dump it during every shift?

Rather than buying a slipper clutch I don't really need, I crack the throttle during downshifts to minimize the rear wheel slipping... Can that cause damage?
I do whatever is smoothest depending on situation. I generally don't use the clutch on upshifts, and if I do I wouldn't say it's a gentle release. On downshifts, I let it out slower so it's smoother, or I blip the throttle to match speeds.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Not really. It's more like wear I'd imagine.

I'm guessing 4,000 odd miles of city driving with the OEM gearing (15 tooth front sprocket) has worn out the friction plates.
That doesn't seem like a lot of miles though to change plates. Other people have put well over 10k without needing to change them. I have almost 6k on mine, with about half of them being track miles and they're still going strong.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
That doesn't seem like a lot of miles though to change plates. Other people have put well over 10k without needing to change them. I have almost 6k on mine, with about half of them being track miles and they're still going strong.
Agreed.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Check the sprockets… maybe your chain is super loose and your slipping it on the rear sprocket.

Otherwise, I like the bad friction plate idea. It can happen… my 748 had one bad plate at 7000 miles.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Take your cover off and see if there is a big build up of dust in there . Maybe a compressed air blow out first. If that doesnt help pull the clutch pack out and measure the pack to see if its still in spec . Go simple first

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought a new pressure plate, but haven't installed it yet. I need to buy a clutch cover first. I imagine there is quite a bit of dust in the basket. I'm going to go ahead and buy new clutch plates based on feedback here. For less than a few hundred, why not? Sounds like it will need done eventually... Should I assume I'll need a clutch basket as well? What is a good indicator on when the basket needs replaced? And any preferences on brand of clutch plates? I've heard some people use Barnett vs Ducati OEM.

My chain doesn't have much play in it, if it jumped off, I'd be pretty scared.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts