Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I usually just browse, but my bike quit on me on my way to work today and I'm pretty sure it's bad news.

I bought the bike this spring, a 2008 1098 with 994 miles on it. The previous owner said he just did an oil change before selling it to me. Only mod is termi slip ons with ECU.

I rode it all summer, and it now has 2,3XX miles on it. I just bought an Amsoil oil change kit and was going to do that before I fog the cylinders and put it away for the winter. Well, on my way to work today, I take the bike up to a considerable highway speed, I'll leave it at that, and towards the top of 4th gear the bike stalls... so, not thinking, I just popped the clutch to start it back up and it seemed to sputter and then stalled again. So, while coasting to the nearest exit and in neutral, I tried to start it 2 more times with it just kind of starting/sputtering. I didn't hear any bad noises, clanking, etc... just seemed to not wanna run. Definitely has gas, battery is fine... I'm thinking it has to be a timing belt failure because I don't know if they were ever replaced. I feel like an idiot now for not checking the maintenance schedule and seeing they should have been replaced a while ago, but I'm hoping I am wrong on my assumption that they broke.

Any thoughts or advice on where to start troubleshooting greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
It could be a million things, but my 1198 had done that two times. Ethanol had swelled the fuel line on the pump. Slipped right off. I put some fuel line on it from a BMW and no issues.

·
Court Jester
11,826 Posts
I don't think its the belts but pulling the covers off can tell you. Go ahead and change or at least drain the oil look for copper shavings. If the belts are fine and the oil is good I doubt it's major probably some thing else as previous post said it could be many things.

Reactions: vfrman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response, that makes me feel a little better. I'm seeing all the posts about timing belt issues and I had convinced my self that I was screwed. I'll check the fuel lines as soon as I get off work. Another thing to note is that the CEL didn't come on at all. I think I'm also going to pull the fairings off after work and pull the timing belt covers to get a physical look at the belts... beats sitting around wondering.

·
Court Jester
11,826 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, that makes me feel a little better. I'm seeing all the posts about timing belt issues and I had convinced my self that I was screwed. I'll check the fuel lines as soon as I get off work. Another thing to note is that the CEL didn't come on at all. I think I'm also going to pull the fairings off after work and pull the timing belt covers to get a physical look at the belts... beats sitting around wondering.
You won't get a Cel when it's something serious at least I never have. But don't try starting it any more until you confirm the belts are fine, and again draining the oil should tell you if it's something serious as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I'd bet my wife's paycheck that it isn't the belts. If the belts let loose, you would have seriously fucked up that motor, and it wouldn't have wanted to turn over at all. In fact, when you popped the clutch to start it, the rear would have locked up rather violently.

My guess is this is fuel related.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The back tire did lock up on me at one point, but I think I had kicked it down to second gear and was rolling about 70mph.... but it still turned over in neutral afterwards with no problems or weird noises. I get off work in and hour, besides draining the oil and checking fuel lines any other suggestions on troubleshooting methods? Thanks again for all the comments

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Maybe check the air filter and front plug too...

When bikes don't run, it is one of three things...air, fuel, or spark. Well, four if you include timing of those things.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you open the cap to the tank and turn the key over and back letting the pump prime and you see bubbles/movement, then the little hose between the pump and the fuel filter popped off. Thanks ethanol=swelling

·
Court Jester
11,826 Posts
I'd bet my wife's paycheck that it isn't the belts. If the belts let loose, you would have seriously fucked up that motor, and it wouldn't have wanted to turn over at all. In fact, when you popped the clutch to start it, the rear would have locked up rather violently.

My guess is this is fuel related.

Not true my ran both times and the engine never seized but I agree I don't think it's the belts

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you open the cap to the tank and turn the key over and back letting the pump prime and you see bubbles/movement, then the little hose between the pump and the fuel filter popped off. Thanks ethanol=swelling

OP--do yourself a favor and check this FIRST... It's the easiest thing to check. As Agr0 mentioned, open the fuel cap, turn the key to the on position and look inside when the fuel pump primes... if you see bubbling, swirling or splashing you have a disconnected fuel hose.

If this is not the problem, you can move on from there...

·
Court Jester
11,826 Posts
OP--do yourself a favor and check this FIRST... It's the easiest thing to check. As Agr0 mentioned, open the fuel cap, turn the key to the on position and look inside when the fuel pump primes... if you see bubbling, swirling or splashing you have a disconnected fuel hose.

If this is not the problem, you can move on from there...

Vf's recommendation along with the above are good things to look for. Reading about other people's blown engines can cause a little panic but it more rare than it looks in the bigger picture.

I just would not crank it unless you find something obvious first or you verify the belts if you herd knocking it could be a spun bearing and that would show in the oil.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Could it be electrical? Voltage regulator/rectifier maybe? Just throwing out some common Ducati problems...

·
Court Jester
11,826 Posts
Could it be electrical? Voltage regulator/rectifier maybe? Just throwing out some common Ducati problems...

Could be the kick stand sensor!

Reactions: vfrman

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had an issue with moisture in the fuel with mine after filling up from a country servo. Since they drained the tank and lines been running perfectly. My bike had been sitting overnight not in running though when I tried to start it but couldn't. Hope it's something that simple for you but keep positive and cross each bridge as you come to it. Sounds like the open tank and turn key back and forth would be a good result. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the helpful comments and suggestions. I trailered the bike home last night and got it back in my garage but I didn't have time to do any checks. If I would have seen the gas tank idea I would have tried that as it would be really quick. Unfortunately I am going to be out of town after work today until next Sunday. When I get back I'll be sure to try all the troubleshooting suggestions and get back to you guys to let you know what I find.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts