Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I'm finally starting to brake hard/late enough or just noticing, but halfway through my last track day my brakes started to fall off. Normally I get typical Brembo bite very early in the lever travel with minimal effort. But towards the end of the day the lever would go deeper into its pull before I got the braking action i wanted. Has anyone noticed brake fade with the stock rubber lines? Is it time I upgraded to steel braided?

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Depends on model, which is not specified.

Quality of brake components varies between models of course.

But the first step should be to bleed some new fluid through the system.

And bleed it at the master cylinder as well, as some air can collect there.

Brake fluid should be bled before each track day, as of course the brakes work much harder than in road use.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, it's a 2007 base 1098. Brembo calipers but the lines are not braided. And they were bled/flushed this winter after I installed my Ohlins cartridges (about a month ago). I know it's not an air/water issue. Went for a short ride today running some errands and the brakes were 100% back to normal feel which is why I suspect fade.

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
Sorry, it's a 2007 base 1098. Brembo calipers but the lines are not braided. And they were bled/flushed this winter after I installed my Ohlins cartridges (about a month ago). I know it's not an air/water issue. Went for a short ride today running some errands and the brakes were 100% back to normal feel which is why I suspect fade.
Sounds like you were definitely boiling the brake fluid. That happens even easier with some moisture in the system. A complete flush with a good hi-temp brake fluid (I like the Motul 600) is called for, for sure.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yep, system flush with better fluids first.

However in my experience, the stock system always had a bit of brake fade if you have a decent pace on track. The only true solution is to try a better brake pad. If you spend a great deal of time on the track, Ferodo Xrac or Zrac pads can withstand the high temperatures much better. They don't transfer as much heat through the pad material and into the pad backing, thus reducing the problems of over heating the brake fluid. They do take a while to heat up, something that takes a moment to get use to. However, those pads mixed with a 19x20 radial master cylinder and the stock big-piston monoblock calipers, are a very lethal combination. The OEM kit has compromises to make the brakes good enough for a wide variety of situations.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I've never had any issues and I have stock brakes. Recently I changed to EBC EPFA pads, but even with the stock ones never had this issue. Maybe I'm not hard enough on the brakes?? Don't think so because people tell me I brake too hard! :D...or maybe I just don't do as many laps as you do in a day.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Well, there are many factors. Rider speed and aggression is generally the #1 factor. The other factors are self explanatory; track speed, length of braking zones and cool down areas. Some tracks are real on/off and other tracks have long straights to help cool your brakes between corners.

I've personally done many back to back (stock vs race bike) tests and the difference has been literally night and day. Where the stock kit is actually better when cold, the moment you start to put in some serious laps, it fades fast. The full race kit (pads/rotors/master cylinder/dual SS lines) takes time to warm up, you literally have very little braking force on the first lap, which is why that warm up lap is so important. I always brake real hard into every corner on that lap, pretending it was a heat race, rather then just a slow make sure everything is together lap. This way there is plenty of heat in my brakes before the race start.

I have tested and owned other brands of bikes, they've all suffered from identical brake fade on-track. So it's not a Ducati specific thing what so ever.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I was amazed at the difference a good fluid flush does for the brakes.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you were definitely boiling the brake fluid. That happens even easier with some moisture in the system. A complete flush with a good hi-temp brake fluid (I like the Motul 600) is called for, for sure.

Yep, actually did use the Motul when I flushed it about a month ago. The fade isn't terrible. Just noticeable and a little hairy slowing from 110 for a 30mph turn when you aren't ready for it. I'll give it another flush before my next track day. Thanks

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
Yeah, my brakes are one of the things I'm most picky about...so much so that I went to Braking wave rotors and a Spiegler radial master cylinder to get the kind of feel, bite and lever that I wanted on the SuperHawk. Next to the Ohlins, the most expensive thing I've done to this bike, in fact.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts