Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went for my first short test ride around town today and having brake issues. Yes, I have ASV levers but they were fine all of last year.

The brakes started to pump up about 15 blocks from my place. I know they were pumping up because there was usually a good bit of free play when i pulled the lever until engagement. When they pumped up, there was no free play. I'm thinking it's not the lever and plunger but i will be checking it.

The only difference from last year is new galfer dual brake lines. One thing I noticed when bleeding my brakes is the bleeder on the master cylinder weeped a drop every few days from the threads, so I tightened it a bit further to stop it. Is it possible that I tightened it too much and blocked something like the return port? After 10-15 min i rode it home very slowly to minimize brake usage.

possible issues:
1. master cylinder bleeder too tight
2. brake lever plunger(unlikely since there is normally a good bit of free play but I'll check)
3. brake line routing? There are no kinks in the line

any other things to check?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just noticed fluid was seeping from my front left caliper at the fitting to caliper crush washer(new). Not sure if this is a sign of the cause or if the pressure just built up enough to seep but unlikely

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Can you explain what you mean by pump? Do you mean the lever pulsed when you pulled on it? Your description of "pumping up" sounds like the lever was harder, not softer like what would happen if it were pulsing.

- The bleeder being tight is good, not bad.
- Brake plunger is most likely fine (I'd look at the lever first)
- Brake line routing doesn't really make any difference because stainless steel lines are pretty strong and won't collapse if twisted.

Brake fluid around the fitting isn't good, that could be your issue. If hydraulic fluid gets onto the brake pad and/or rotor, it can cause issues for sure.

Try it when cold, see if the problem goes away, that's the first thing to test.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you explain what you mean by pump? Do you mean the lever pulsed when you pulled on it? Your description of "pumping up" sounds like the lever was harder, not softer like what would happen if it were pulsing.

- The bleeder being tight is good, not bad.
- Brake plunger is most likely fine (I'd look at the lever first)
- Brake line routing doesn't really make any difference because stainless steel lines are pretty strong and won't collapse if twisted.

Brake fluid around the fitting isn't good, that could be your issue. If hydraulic fluid gets onto the brake pad and/or rotor, it can cause issues for sure.

Try it when cold, see if the problem goes away, that's the first thing to test.
thought i replied to this thread. pumped up as in the brakes were staying on.
It wasn't the levers or plunger. turned out to be what looked like a clear plastic particle clogging the master cylinder. It came out when i did a reverse bleed. I assume it came from the new galfer lines and somehow ended up in the master cylinder.Brakes are fine now. I'll probably replace the bleeder on the master cylinder since its weeping a little.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
There ya go! Probably something left in there from manufacturing.

Glad you figured it out! :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There ya go! Probably something left in there from manufacturing.

Glad you figured it out! :)
Yeah it looked like a piece of the outer coating they use on the stainless lines. all good now thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts