Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just bought a used 848 with 13k miles and I turned it into my track bike. Today was my 1st time riding it and under heavy braking it chattered and pulsed badly....maybe it's just pads? But I'm thinking since I'm gonna do nothing but flog this machine, maybe a rotor and pad upgrade to track spec stuff?

What do you recommend? I'm not as up to snuff on all the different parts, and only really have enough time to read a little here and maybe ask a question here and there. Thanks! !

·
Registered
104 Posts
Your rotors are warped. Same thing would happen to me when I really got going. Therefore I replaced my OEM Brembo rotors with Galfer Superbike rotors, pads and brakelines. In sum, it was the best addition I have made to my superbike.

In short, the cutouts allow for more leading edge to grip into. The Galfer Superbike rotors allow me to brake right into the apex and now I ride much faster!

Attachments

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The most reasonably priced AND indestructible rotors I know of are the Axis/IRON rotors from Break Tech. They work flawlessly in conjunction with sintered break pads like the Ferodo XRac pads, which are absolutely the best pads on the market by a fair margin. Both are available with racing sponsorship through break tech. All ya gotta do is call, tell them you race and you've got the hookup. No reason to buy Chinese crap, when the best stuff is available for racers at a discount.

AXIS Iron Rotors

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had the same problem my lasf track day. Cleaned the rotors with some green scratch pad, threw away the old pads, cleaned the calipers - put new pads ins and it feels amazing now. Haven't been to the track to brake really hard but it was becoming a problem even at stop signs.

At first I thought it was suspension related...

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had Galfer wave rotors on my old RC51. They were awesome, no doubt....but expensive!

·
Court Jester
11,819 Posts
someone purchased the Chinese rotors on this forum and reported they worked well... I see if I can find the thread.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The most reasonably priced AND indestructible rotors I know of are the Axis/IRON rotors from Break Tech. They work flawlessly in conjunction with sintered break pads like the Ferodo XRac pads

I also recommend BrakeTech AXIS/Iron Rotors. The main reason that iron brake rotors are used instead of the OEM stainless steel is that for a given brake pad material iron rotors offer a higher coefficient of friction than stainless steel, and consequently more braking power, better heat management, and better brake force modulation (feel).

I think that ductile iron rotors are the best single change that you can make to improve your brakes.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Don't they rust though if it rains?? Or are they coated/treated in some way to prevent corrosion?

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Don't they rust though if it rains?? Or are they coated/treated in some way to prevent corrosion?
They certainly don't rust as quickly as the Brembo cast iron rotors, but they will if they get soaked with water and are allowed to sit for awhile. Just ride and the rust comes right off. The only part that will rust on the BrakeTech rotors is where the brake pads contacts them. The rest of the rotor disc has a nitride coating on it.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Front rotor weights

Stock 748 (Round holes) .... 4 lb. 3.5 oz
996 (Snowflake) ................3 lb. 11.0 oz
998R Narrow Track ............3 lb. 1.0 oz
BrakeTech AXIS Rotors .......3 lb. 0.0 oz

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
Iron will rust if wet and left but it's not really an issue.

I like the Brake Tech stuff it's just to bad it's so difficult to get consistently. We have had customers wait up to 6 months to get a set of rotors from them.

I have a pair of the Chinese wave rotors that now have 2yrs use on them. Approx 24,000K of various type of use on them. I mated them with a set of Ferodo medium use pads and they worked well. They now get pressed by a pair of P4/34 calipers running the brembo pads and they work quite well. They were listed as 320mm rotors for an 1198 w/DTC buttons but they ended up being 330mm.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Duno if I could trust the Chinese stuff for brakes or tires.
My life is more important to me than a few hundred bucks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts