Ducati.org forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Court Jester
12,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I have not used this pad/rotor combo, so I cannot speak to it, but just wanted to throw something different out there. And this is not meant to insult or anything, but the more aggressive the pads (i.e. race style pads) the more you need to be smooth on the brakes. Its not uncommon for especially a novice racer to panic and stab the brake lever and launch themselves over the handle bars (I haven't launched myself but definitely had an oh shit moment when the rear gets up and starts coming around). I try my best to follow what Ken Hill preaches, with less brakes for longer and first and last 5% stuff.

And on a side note I have the GPFAX pads with stock rotors and I love them.

No offense taken, I'm not newbie but I'm not expert. The problem I was having is when getting down to that last 25% pull i.e. From slowly "smoothly" pulling the lever in that last portion was unsettling. I wasn't "grabbing brake" and thinking oh shit. As I would come into the braking cones as I always have everything is fine but as I reach that last bit of pull it feels almost like a shimming of the rotors as in warped. But it wasn't doing that in any other application, in fact at one point I think I had my first experience of "brake fade", not sure but I felt for a split second I was at max braking then nothing.

Not arguing and I really do appreciate the feed back. I've got the new pads ordered I'll report back.

·
Court Jester
12,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I've got the irons and ferodo pads. Love it, no issues. I'll be going to the track pads once my build is complete running streets now.

Let me know when you switch, I was using the race version.

·
Court Jester
12,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
After this entire cluster F
http://www.ducati.org/forums/technical/99754-wtf.html#post1106314

I'm going to use the Ferodo pads for now. I'm talking with EBC they are investigating the issues (on the other thread).

Shout out to Svensken for having me check into the Axis Iron Ductile rotors I didn't know about the not using Sintered pads on them. Although Ferodo says theirs are compatible they will just wear the rotors faster.

So maybe my problem isn't the brand its the fact the Ferodo I have are organic vs sintered..

·
Court Jester
12,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
For your next pads, give the SBS DC a try. They gota have some good heat in them, but once they're up to temp it's quite nice.

I'm running these with the Axis rotors.
Iron rotors? and where did you get the pads?

·
Court Jester
12,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I had ferodo with my iron rotors if I recall correctly View attachment 144137
Yah Braketech says Ferodo is good to go with the Axis but they don't list any other compatible pads.

On the other hand they imply that sintered pads are not a issue with their ductile Iron.

·
Court Jester
12,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah the Axis are the iron, the Cobra are the stainless. Any Parts Unlimited dealer can get them in for you, or I'm sure there's some floating about on the interweb stores.

SBS part no. you'll need is: 841DC
Thanks Motomummy has them.

FYI I just got this from Braketech..

Thank you for the inquiry Tyler

If your prefer the performance parameters of the carbon (organic) race pads, then would recommend trying the new Ferodo CPro carbon/ceramic pads. Though any of the premium offerings such as the SBS Dual-Carbon or PFC carbon/metallic are good to go.
We do not recommend sintered metal pads such as those from EBC for use on iron.

Reactions: WERA689

·
Court Jester
12,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
And just got this back from EBC...
Hi Tyler,
Here is the response from the sintered factory:

We have not tested the EPFA material directly on this type of rotor. However, similar materials have worked well with cast-iron rotors. We don't think there was any reason why the material won't work on this type of rotor. Noise may be an issue.

Kind regards
Robert Keller

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
910 Posts
And just got this back from EBC...
Hi Tyler,
Here is the response from the sintered factory:

We have not tested the EPFA material directly on this type of rotor. However, similar materials have worked well with cast-iron rotors. We don't think there was any reason why the material won't work on this type of rotor. Noise may be an issue.

Kind regards
Robert Keller
Robert has been very helpful for me in the past, good guy there.

·
Court Jester
12,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm torn, I'm very tempted to try the EBC, but I bought the SBS, so I'll try those first.

·
Court Jester
12,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
These did not arrive in time for my track day last Sunday. I bedded the Ferodo pads again and I'm still not likening the feel. I don't know if I'll have another chance this year at the track to try the SBS. I might have to wait until next year 😐

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey mate, this is what ive been using for a few years now. Highly recommend, can I give my description .
They need a cleaned rotor to lay down a film of carbon onto the disc when you first install these
They will take a lap or 2 to bed in.
They need heat to work , so be careful 1st corner every session.
The hotter they are the more power you get.
They dont have much initial bite but get stronger as you pull where they surpass double sintered pads.
The best part is how they release coming off the brakes , like when your finishing trail braking
They wear really well and dont groove /wear the rotors.

·
Registered
2008 1098
82 Posts
I'm using the EBC HH right now on stock rotors and stock lines and the brake performance is okay but not spectacular. I do have issues sometimes in longer brake zones as I release the brake it feels a touch grabby. As soon as the budget allows I plan on braided lines and the next level pad. I just purchased a Ducati Corse link and DU362 shock so that blew the budget for a while!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Your lines will be fine. They are high quality to start with. New master cylinder might be a better investment for the brakes? I'm going to try the EBC EPFA pads next year, but I think those SBS pads are an awesome choice, esp. for Iron rotors.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.