Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...it misbehaves.

Bike stall, idle low (1050rpms).

When I put the VDST on it,it shows 2.1; i then set it at 2.6 but soon after it will go back to 2.1

Tired of this.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Maybe it wasn't calibrated to begin with? You can't just replace the TPS and have the ECU calibrate it. You should check the TPS via a multimeter before doing anything else to insure its working properly.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Yea, yea, forget the Ducati electronics for a moment. Grab a multimeter and start testing with that, using the ohms setting. Make sure the sensor physically works before going any further.

Remember, its not a 360 degree system, it only has a small range of functioning, only about 1/4 of the sensor actually does anything.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well,it has to be something else,today it crapped again and I could see an exhaust leak on the rear cylinder (not at the cylinder,but at the 1st junction on the pipe) that is spewing raw fuel or oil,my fingers were dirty and I couldn't make out which it was.

will check spark plug tomorrow

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Yea, I tell ya, its not calibrated. There is another thread on this subject, same problem.

The TPS needs to be set to zero orientation with the throttle plates completely closed. Its not a direct replacement like everyone thinks it is.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
After a bit of reading,I assume that you cant just shove the tps in the hole and call it a day?

You got to turn it until you read specific values at closed and full throttle or is that just for cars? I mean,they are not screwed with a poss. of adjustment which seems to be done by a vdst or dda

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Yea, you've gotta calibrate the software. I'm fairly sure, the throttle plates have to be completely closed to do the calibration. SO that means unscrewing the little yellow marked stopper, getting the plates closed and then setting it with the VDST.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm assuming you have a 1098, right?

To reset the TPS jut hit the reset TPS feature on the VDST, make sure you're not touching the throttle (like if the bike was idling on the side stand)

If you want to make sure it works through the whole range simply go to the parameters screen and while looking @ the TPS reading, roll the throttle slowly and it should go all the way up to 85 or a very near number.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Values after reset via vdst are 2.6 to 69.6 (the vdst gives me erratic readings when i let go of the throttle,can end up being 2 to 4 range at close throttle) but the 69,6 is constant

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I definitely have some problems,oil is present in the vertical cylinder exhaust;

Keep in mind that i had this problem for a while last summer and it cleared eventually,still an intermittant problem so not too sure about a dropped cylinder

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well,fan error is not new but the crank sensor came through the vdst and had the dredded yellow light on the dash which was not there this morning prior to diagnostics.

Removed the crank sensor and the tip had a flake which came right off with a rag and it looks grounded,like it rubbed on something;

Tried to find pictures on the net to compare it to but hey,nice pics from sides,back and a couple out-of-focus ones too...so no help there (when i say tip,i'm very generous as nothing is protruding from the barrel at all--and the cam i got at work cant for the life of me take close-ups).

Cleaned everything,remounted everything in hope that there could be a miracle but no dice.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wont bother much anymore with that,I think I blew the oil rings on vertical cylinder...its problems on top of problems right now.

Oil everywhere on the back of the engine :(

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well,you guys wont believe that but...

..in a last ditch effort,before ordering tons of expensive parts I decided to change the rear plug since well,it must have been bathing in oil.

It was indeed wet and oily.

So I changed it and waited till end of day (did it at work at lunch time) to push the bike out and try it...cold start system,1500rpms...check...barely any surging,check.

Clutch 1st,give it throttle....lotsa lotsa smoke pouring out of exhaust for a couple street corners but then it cleared up and man,its running like a new engine,no more surging at all.

Still doesn't explain the TPS behavior but heh,its all golden right now so if it aint broke,dont fix the mutha.

No more oil coming out the exhaust,nothing to complain at all.

yay

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Somehow yes.

Took the time today to double check stuff,TPS holding at 2.7...I suspect the erratic readings might have come from laptop system lag (never tought of that) and fan error gone with a new fuse

Winter maintenance will include every other sensors and a total new clutch assembly

1 - 20 of 21 Posts