Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... cracked 600 this morning, and it's in the shop getting new oil and checked over while I slave away in the office.

My last 2 ducs were just "below 6k for the first 600, then below 7500 until 1000"... but according to the manual :D this one is now below 7k until 1553 miles...

This seems like a REALLY long break-in period to me, but is it just me? Anyone else have input on this?

I'm going to ask the dealer when I pick the bike up this afternoon, but just wanted to ask the internet hive-mind for their opinion as well.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
The doors to break in opinions are now WIDE open my man! :)

You will now find MANY different thoughts on this one for sure. However, if you own the SL I would think there just "might be" a slim chance of differed method here. But thats just me talking Lost.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I agree with the members comments above, many different methods and opinions on this topic.

Most dealers will support what the manuals suggest. They do appear to drag out the break-in period IMO.

I'm a bit more aggressive with the RPMs during break-in.. never had any issues. Oil serving and required maintenance is most important.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Heat-cycles, more important than amount of miles

What I do, and what I consider more important than the amount of miles needed for break-in, is the amount of heat-cycles.
I will ride the bike, heat it up to operating temp and then let it cool-off completely. Then over the course of a few days, repeat half a dozen times or so. (keep in mind not to rev it too much) you may have covered only a couple of hundred miles at this point but for me, this is now broken-in. :nerd:

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
^^^ Hayden was there???

·
Registered
132 Posts
There was an article in which the ducati tech manager or w/e proper position title was interviewed. He made a comment about break in periods and stated something along the lines of "it's seen redline long before you've even signed the papers for it". Or something to those lines. That being said, I followed the 600. Then my dealership said I didn't have to baby it anymore. So I didn't :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Do we have any post break in dyno numbers yet?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts