Ducati.org forum banner

break in

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Mifune 
#1 ·
what is the best way to break in my bike. should i take it easy or ride it like i stold it?

#4 ·
I have heard mixed emotions about both. I basically split the difference. I rode the shit out of it up to 6k RPM then I would shift. Not sure if it is the best thing but atleast I kept the rpm's down and at the same time got on her really hard to seat the piston rings. Again this is just what I did. Take it with a grain of salt.

#5 ·
breakin' rules

BostonDucati said:
I rode the shit out of it up to 6k RPM then I would shift.
Me too.

#7 ·
I recommend varying RPMs and alot of engine breaking in the first 100 miles especially.

Don’t beat it but don’t baby it either. I did not redline my bike before the first service but honestly, after the first 20 miles or so the bike is broke in and more than likely the rings where seated before the bike even left the factory.

Jason

#8 ·
I did/am doing the same as BostonDucati.
Having said that (incase my dealer is reading) the mototune website makes a lot of sense, and I used to run in my TZ250 in 5 laps on the track despite Yamaha claiming that I should spend 1 hour doing it!! (20% of the usable life of the piston ring).

#9 ·
Vary the RPM's

Visitor Q said:
I recommend varying RPMs and alot of engine breaking in the first 100 miles especially.

Don’t beat it but don’t baby it either. I did not redline my bike before the first service but honestly, after the first 20 miles or so the bike is broke in and more than likely the rings where seated before the bike even left the factory.

Jason
I agree with the exception of how long it takes the rings to seat.

My VROD was at a constant RPM for 80 miles when I picked it up and the rings didn't seat for 10,000 miles. it stopped using oil after that. I am at 840 miles on the 1098 and i did not hit redline and varied the RPM a lot. I did not baby it except for the 1st day when i was getting used to it.

#10 ·
I'd take a blended approach

of what these guys are saying. I think you probably would be fine to ride it like you stole it but I would be more gentle at first, gradually becoming more aggressive with it. BostonDucati didn't have a choice but to get his to 6K because he was riding with us...maybe pretend like you're trying to catch someone with that limit in mind like he had to.

Definitely vary RPM without hesitating to bring it to its break-in-imposed "limit." Once it's run-in according to the manual I would beat the bag out of it as much as you want.

morgan said:
what is the best way to break in my bike. should i take it easy or ride it like i stold it?

#11 ·
Lol no shit man. Do you any idea how annoying it is to have your friends blast off infront of you and your doing your best to catch them while shifting every second at 6k? As soon as I did my first 600 miles service I started taking her to redline.

On a side note this Bitch is fast! Be careful in first. I found the front end will take off skyward if you are not careful. My front end came up just a bit but I backed off. I also try to put all my weight forward when accelerating hard in a straight line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.