1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DucatiSpot Ambassador
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes- interesting- I believe it has been on Ebay for a few weeks now. I wonder how many parts have sold.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sad to see. As a purely business decision, the bike is worth much more in parts - if the market exists. Given these bikes aren't ridden and wrecked as often as a GSX-R, it's a small market. I've been watching fuel tanks on eBay at $3000 unsold for at least a month.

It would seem an intact engine is very valuable but I see they're offering internals piece-meal. Curious.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I contacted the seller and had him price the rear tail piece of the bodywork.

He sent photos and it looked perfect.

At about $2500 it was out of my price range so I would not expect a fire sale on the parts but at least they are available if one needs a part.

I tried to buy the rear stand but it was not available.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I contacted the seller via eBay, asking about the VIN. It's been 24 hours with no response.

Pierre Col was PM'd to notify him about this bike just in case it is his stolen bike as links to the photos in his stolen bike thread are now broken.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
the response :

Hello
The desmo is being broke as it came from Italy as a finace repossession.
We stripped the bike for parts, and my wife pasted a picture from the Internet for reference close to how the bike was before, apologies, if you want it removed we will do so.
I have tank, subframe, rear tail cowl, foot controls, most panels, wiring loom, dash screen, various parts
The engine and forks are sold as is the exhaust system.
We do carry or can get new desmo parts as we deal with ducati Italy direct as well.
Thanks
Matthew

·
Registered
449 Posts
If it is legitimate, why won't he answer my question regarding the VIN?

And why would a finance repo get broken up for parts rather than sold in one piece?
That seems like WAY too much hassle for a finance company.

France to Algeria to Italy and... into pieces? Sad. And if true, criminal.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I contacted the seller and had him price the rear tail piece of the bodywork.

He sent photos and it looked perfect.

At about $2500 it was out of my price range so I would not expect a fire sale on the parts but at least they are available if one needs a part.

I tried to buy the rear stand but it was not available.

Do you need a tail unit Smitty ( original rosso or team ) DM me where your budget is at. No promises but I know where some are if the price is right.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got a message back from Matthew when I asked for the VIN:

"The chassis is not stamped it is a bare model test desmo"

which is quite different than the other response.

He did say that they are located in South France.

I can't imagine Ducati making any bike without a VIN. Sure sounds fishy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ducati would never make or sell a bike without a VIN.
You can't import or export a complete vehicle without a VIN as it is needed to go through customs.

Even the factory race bikes have VIN's and must post a bond or carnet when going from one country to the next for a race, in order to make sure that the bike is not sold in that country.

The only bikes that don't have VIN's are those assembled with a brand new unstamped frame.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Motobee is quite correct. Even the prototypes went out of the door with a VIN number.
I am concerned that this is Pierre's bike. Especially as the engine and frame are apparently sold, the two identifying parts. I have been promised the paperwork, it has yet to arrive.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Motobee is quite correct. Even the prototypes went out of the door with a VIN number.
I am concerned that this is Pierre's bike. Especially as the engine and frame are apparently sold, the two identifying parts. I have been promised the paperwork, it has yet to arrive.
Don't forget that there is also the series number-plate on the top clamp of the forks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yesterday I emailed Ducati Lyon with a link to this thread. The pic of his bike had been removed from ebay by then. I haven't heard back. Pierre bought his bike from that dealer; they rebuilt it etc.

There are still links to Pierre's adventure with his bike, with heaps of pictures.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
He told me the listing ( which is for less parts than advertised ) had been removed as he does not want to be associated with a bike which may be stolen ( the bike pictured ) I've offered to buy what he has left. if i get the paperwork sent over. promised me 5 minutes ago that he's asked his wife to do that. I don't need copies of the paperwork, just the VIN which i will have Ducati chase up. He's not saying no, he's just not being very quick about it.

Don't forget that there is also the series number-plate on the top clamp of the forks.
Quite right Apollo and as the forks are sold i expect that the top yoke will be somehow not available too. Although it is a simple job to remove and replace that plate were one determined enough.

He's being very forthcoming with me in conversation and is not refusing anything or getting on the defensive. yet. I won't jump to conclusions but i don't like it and expect all of this to reappear in parts from another seller.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.