Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if the process is the same as far as how I broke in my inline 4, hard but not abusive.

What I did was keep the bike away from redline varying the RPMs, on and off the throttle but not babying it or beating it.

Jason

PS: A great read...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Its the same principal as with any other new engine. Most of it is common sense. Take it easy the first few hundred miles. Don't over rev it at start up. Let the engine cool down slightly before shutting her off. Keep away from the redline mark. Don't over clutch and don't over ride a gear. Vary the speed and RPM every so often to keep things in check. It's all pretty basic.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ducati says to keep the rpm under 6000 for the first 600mi, while varying the rpm, change the oil at 600mi, from 600mi to 1500 mi keep the rpm under 7000.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Desmo Duc said:
Ducati says to keep the rpm under 6000 for the first 600mi, while varying the rpm, change the oil at 600mi, from 600mi to 1500 mi keep the rpm under 7000.
Yeah and Honda said the same thing but I broke it in like the link I posted, 0 problems, 6000 miles!

I was just wondering if there was anything that should stop me since it is a twin.

Jason

·
Registered
161 Posts
Anybody has some Ideas what the best way will be? I mean the way the manufacturer says its realistic, but also the posted way has some positive thoughts... I was told by an Mercedes engine guy, you should get close to the red lines once or twice during the break in phase...
I blew up my 1000RR after 3000mi, which I broke in the manufacturer way and got f*** on the warranty. Now I'm scared to be honest that the same happens with my black beauty... :silly: :piss: :moped:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did some reasearch, going to break in the Duc like my Gixxer.

Vary the rev's, don't red line it often(once or twice after the first few hundred) and enjoy the sound! Just break it in, like you plan on riding it.

Do NOT break it in, while riding around in town and/or in traffic!

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I guess I will plan on breaking it in hard but with the oil that comes in the bike.

Jason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts